the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ground When Armed Relay With Viper Alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vipersucks 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vipersucks
Hey guys, I am sure to most of you this will be a dumb question but I am super frustrated with my Viper alarm and need some help. I bought a viper 3305v alarm and the wiring diagram they provided is incomplete and after sending not one but two emails to viper I still do not have a response. I am thinking about returning the alarm on principle alone. Now that my vent is over, the wiring diagram for the brain of the alarm is straight forward but there is an orange wire that says to connect to a ground when armed relay but it is already connected to a DEI 610t relay. Problem is, the morons at viper don't provide a wiring diagram for how to install their relay. Obviously this is the starter kill and one would assume it needs to be installed inline in my starter solenoid signal but my searching tells me the black is a ground so I am hesitant to arbitrarily wire it up that way.
The relay has 4 wires.
Yellow wire is labelled in the diagram as coming from switched 12v when in the run and crank positions. This to me says it is just telling the alarm when the car is on as it needs power in run and not just crank.
The orange wire is from the relay is wires back into the alarm unit. The diagram says to connect this to a ground when armed relay. No idea why their diagram would not represent what they send you but clearly viper doesn't care about quality. I assume this is ground when armed?
This leaves a black wire and a green wire with no labels and no diagram. If I was to splice anything into my starter signal wire I would think I need two wires, which makes me think this is where these two wires need to go, but I would also think the black is a ground? I clearly have no idea. There is no wires in the diagram that say starter output so would it only leave green and black?
I am on my phone so I can't post a pic of the viper diagram but google does have it. Model 3305v. Thanks guys!
vipersucks 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vipersucks
I should add the yellow wire goes from the brain unit to the relay and back out of the relay on the same terminal
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
The orange wire will be connected to relay terminal 85. Yellow goes to vehicle's ignition wire (has 12 volts in run and crank key positions)(relay terminal 86). Cut your starter wire in the vehicle and connect the relay's black wire (relay terminals 87a and 30) to one end of the cut starter wire and green wire to the other cut starter wire. It makes no difference which you connect to which end. The relay will only activate if the alarm is armed and the ignition is turned ON. It will then OPEN the starter wire and prevent the car from starting. There isn't any standard wire colour codes for relay harnesses.
sparky
vipersucks 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vipersucks
Sparkie thank you very much for the reply!
So when the alarm is disarmed the green and black wires are connected to send the starter signal but when it is armed and receives 12v from the yellow the relay disconnects the signal from green to black? I am avoiding the words open and closed just to dumb it down for myself to be sure.
On a side note for anyone thinking about dealing with Viper I finally had a reply and they would not provide the diagram for "liability reasons". Somehow they think sending out an incorrect diagram and refusing to provide the proper one gives them less liability?? No idea how that makes sense..
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
Yes that is how the circuit works. DEI only provides technical support to registered retailers/installers.
sparky
vipersucks 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vipersucks
Huge thanks man!
joseph58 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2021 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote joseph58
sparkie wrote:
The orange wire will be connected to relay terminal 85. Yellow goes to vehicle's ignition wire (has 12 volts in run and crank key positions)(relay terminal 86). Cut your starter wire in the vehicle and connect the relay's black wire (relay terminals 87a and 30) to one end of the cut starter wire and green wire to the other cut starter wire. It makes no difference which you connect to which end. The relay will only activate if the alarm is armed and the ignition is turned ON. It will then OPEN the starter wire and prevent the car from starting. There isn't any standard wire colour codes for relay harnesses.
This information helped me tremendously!!
Thank you, sparkie!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic