the12volt.com spacer
icon

New install, in over my head.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
archie_kellner 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2017 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote archie_kellner
Ok, where to begin. There is no way to word this without exposing myself as the noob I have found myself to be. I thought I knew something about car audio, I was laughably wrong about that. So, please be gentle, lol. The car I am working with is a 03 Volvo S-40.My head unit is an old school Eclipse (model CD8443). After the Eclipse is an Alpine EQ(model ERE-G160) After the EQ is 2 amplifiers, both by Focal. A 6-channel (model FDP6900) and a monoblock (model FDP1900). For speakers i have a pair of full range Rockford Punch (model P152) were installed in custom made kick-panels and the factory dash tweets were replaced by a pair of Rockford Primes(modelR1FS). I might add that the factory system wasn't too shabby. It was a 6 speaker system with tweets in the dash, 5 1/4" woofers in the front doors and full range, 6 1/2" speakers in the rear deck. The tweets were run off the factory head unit and the other four speakers came from a factory amp in the trunk. Anyway, the factory woofers are still in the door and the factory 6.5's are still in the back dash. In the trunk are 2 JL 12" subs (model 12W0v3) that are SVC speakers running parrallel to the single channel Focal. Now, the Eclipse runs in Standard or Pro mode. The RCA outs/(ins?) on the Eclipse are labeled: Line-in/out(front/hi), Line-in/out(rear/mid), Line-out (non-fader/Low), and then the mysterious pair labled "fixed out". On the alpine EQ, there is only input for a single left/right channel input, the low level output from the EQ is divided into four channels of left/right and front/rear. The 6 channel focal has 6 input(obviously) and they claim each channel will accept high or low level input. There is a selector switch for 2,4,6 inputs. Each set of inputs has lp and hp adjustments. The monoblock has 2 channels of input and 2 channels of output. It also has a phase adjustment and EQ adjustment, along with the lp/hp adjustments. Also on both amps is an internal switch for switching from "balanced/unbalance" and I have no idea what that is about. So, the first part of my question is about the signal itself. It seems i have a number of options and i'm not entirely sure how to articulate them. See, the eclipse has a switch to change the rca outs to ins. In theory, i could run the low/nonfading output to the EQ input and then run the 2 each front/rear output from the eq to the output/input hi/mid input on the eclipse and then run the high level out the eclipse to four channels of the 6 channel amp. Although then i'm not sure what i would do about sub signal. Or, use the nonfader/low output to the monoblock sub amp and run the high or mid out to the input channel of the amp. There are numerous ways to do this and honestly, i dont know which way to go. Idealy, i would like to have 8 channels of RCA headed to the amps but that seeems extreme. Any help at all would be much appreciated.
The more I learn, the less I understand.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2017 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
the "fixed output" of the eclipse is probably a full range output, you can run that to the alpine eq's input and then have front, rear, and sub out from the alpine to your amps. you could also use the front output from the eclipse you would just have to turn off any crossover filters for the front channels. the alpine eq wil split the signal into front rear and sub, and the amps have every crossover you coupd possibly want. the only thing is that you would have no control over the crossover settings from the front of the car. not really a big deal though because once those are set then you really shouldnt have to mess with them ever again.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic