the12volt.com spacer
icon

Wiring OEM door lock switch to aftermarket alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blown383 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2017 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blown383
Hey guys I'm a little stumped. The OEM door lock switch is has two wires coming from it and I'm trying to figure out how to wiring it into my aftermarket alarm.
The aftermarket alarm is set up so that it uses a negative pulse on two relays to lock or unlock the doors.
It essentially looks like this
Wiring OEM door lock switch to aftermarket alarm - Last Post -- posted image.
Ideally I would use a 3 way switch that will provide a negative input that will trigger either of the relays. The only problem is that the OEM switch only has 2 wires coming from it. So how do I get this to work?
Thanks!
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2017 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
Ok. I'll bite. I can help you. But for you and for EVERYONE on here seeking help, for the love of the 12v gods PLEASE be specific when making requests.
Make, model, year vehicle is a must! I don't know what it is just by looking at your switch. And therefor have no clue what the wiring is and can not look it up without specific information. Nor can I teach you how to use a multimeter via this forum.
I am all for helping people. But please help us help you. And to all newbies please read up on using a multimeter. It helps you. It helps us help you.
Gary Sather
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
In order to use that switch you will have to disassemble it, remove the 2 resistors inside of it, and solder wires to the 3 terminals on the switch. Apply ground to the middle terminal of the switch. The other 2 wires will be lock or unlock.
blown383 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2017 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blown383
You're absolutely right! I totally forgot to include the make and model of the car. It's a 2000 Mazda Miata and I took the time to take the switch a part and another board member from the Miata.net forums made a diagram for me to follow.
Wiring OEM door lock switch to aftermarket alarm - Last Post -- posted image.
Here's a video of the results in action!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiyHRMo94VY
When my old alarm went on the fritz I had to unplug the brain and haven't had power door locks in 3 years! Funny how the simplest things are the BEST!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 13, 2017 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
I was not absolutely right. There was only 1 resistor.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic