the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5906 Remote Start Shutoff Switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chuckji 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2017 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chuckji
I just picked up a Viper 5906.
I downloaded a copy of the full installation manual (copyright 2015) from this site and it indicates there is a Remote Start Shutoff Switch (for deactivating the remote start function when, for example, the vehicle is being serviced).
The thing is, the Quick Reference Install Guide that came with the alarm (copyright 2016) does not show such a switch, and looking at the alarm brain module there is no two-pin connector for the switch either - there was no switch in the box as well.
To make things a little more confusing, the full alarm owners manual on Vipers website (copyright 2016) refers to the shutoff switch.
So, does anyone have any idea whats going on here? Maybe I have a newer version of the alarm that doesn't use the switch...? If there is no switch, how do I deactivate the remote start feature?
Any first-hand experience with this is appreciated.
tdbaker021 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tdbaker021
The alarm has a valet feature and there's really no need to install a shutoff switch.
The Control Center, typically located on the upper part of the front
windshield sends and receives commands or messages to and from
your system. It consists of:
• The In-vehicle system antenna, for 2 way communication.
• The Status LED, as a visual indicator of the system’s status.
• The Control button, for placing the system into Valet Mode* and
to perform the Emergency Override** operation.
See page 11 on the link below
See page 11
Refer to page 5 of the manual link below for the shutoff switch.
See page 5
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2017 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
If you want to add a remote start defeat switch put it in the black/wht neutral wire. This wire must be grounded to initiate a Remote Start. If the switch is open, it will not R/S, and will store Code 8 in the Shut Down error codes.
If you have a working hood shut down input, and you should, you probably don't really need another safety such as the shut-down switch.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2017 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Look at the long side. From the left you have the alarm harness, 6 pins then the 2 pin safety switch port. There's usually a switch in the box with two black wires and a black plug, that's what you're looking for, if not there just solder two wires from there to a switch.
I personally never use those switches, I just solder the two pins together.
chuckji 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2017 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chuckji
Thanks for the replies.
Since the alarm doesn't have this 2-pin connector or a switch, im guessing tdbaker is correct and I'm going that route.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic