the12volt.com spacer
icon

5306V Control Center Pin-Outs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2017 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I think I've seen this come up before on here, but some searching didn't find it. I am installing a 5306 to replace my 10 year old 791HV.
I would like to retain my existing LED and Valet button, rather than use the out-in-the-open "control center", other than for the antenna of course.
The 791's antenna only has 4 wires, so I suspect the 2 additional are for the LED and button. The wire colors in order are: pnk, grn, red, blk, blu, gry. Can the LED and button be connected to any of these, and if so which colors?
Thanks in advance.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 20, 2017 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Do you have a multimeter? Arm the alarm so the LED is flashing. Set meter to DC volts. Ground black meter lead and touch red lead to each of the possible wires. See if any of them try to show a reading when the LED flashes. If not, try touching and holding the red lead to a positive 12 volts and then touch the black lead to each of the wires and see if one of those attempt to read a voltage when the LED flashes. If you do find a wire, there will be one more thing to complete this. Let me know if you find a wire.
Set meter to continuity and touch black lead to ground, red lead to each of the wires and press the button on control center. One of the wires should make meter beep.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2017 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I don't come on here as much as I used to, but it made me smile to see that IAAI responded to my inquiry. I have deep respect for yours and Kreg's experience and knowledge. I was hoping one of you would see this and have a suggestion. Thank you.
I will set this up on the bench tomorrow and do some testing. I suppose as long as I don't introduce battery voltage into any of the wires, or short any to each other, I should be safe from damaging the module. I did open the control center and attempt to follow the board traces, but my tired old eyes couldn't do it. I'll get out the meter and see what I come up with and report back. Again, I appreciate the response.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2017 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Ok, I did some testing. I put it in Valet Mode, so the LED was solid-ON. Made it easier to check. I have the button figured out, but am not sure what to do with the LED. Is the pink sinked to ground w/ LED = ON, and the grn wire the +2.7V supply for the LED? Please take a look:
EDIT/ADD: I did some more testing. I used a regular DEI "bright red LED", the one with a white connector. I put the blue wire to the pink wire cavity on the module (removed the pink wire, and the LED on the control center went off) with the red wire to the red (+5V) wire on the module. The add-on LED functions correctly, and appears to be the correct brightness. But I don't know how to check the voltage, or for over-current to the module. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but I don't want to damage the module over the long-term. The 791 lasted 10 years, if this install lasts 10 years as well, that ought to do it. I intend to still own the truck when I die, and at my age, every day is a gift.
The green wire isn't associated with the LED. If I remove it, or piggy-back the LED onto it, the antenna doesn't function. The green wire has to be left alone.
WIRE
pnk          LED=ON:+ .945 LED=OFF: + 3.5
grn          LED=ON:+2.6   LED=OFF: +2.7
red          always:+5.0
blk          always: 0V
blu          always: 0V
gry          always: 0V
The button was easy. Same results armed or unarmed, The only wire that changed state from above with the button pushed was gry:
gry wire:        Button normal: 0V, Button Pushed: +4.1V
I jumped red to gry and was able to go in/out of Valet Mode. So I've got the button: red to gry, N.O. Please tell me what to try with the LED,(although I have an idea) and I'll report back again. Thanks for the tutoring. I learned something.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 21, 2017 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
2.7 volts is fine for the LED No resistor needed.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic