the12volt.com spacer
icon

Too many ground connections?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2017 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Bottom diagram correct BUT feed the camera from the rev light bulb feed, surely that's 12V+ thus eliminating the relay.
That's how I always do it.
gaford 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2017 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gaford
Your suggestions make sense for 99.99% of backup installations, but on my car (2009 Cayenne), for reasons I am not sure why but the manufacture intended, the backup video is displayed for up to 30 seconds after the car is taken out of reverse, or less if the car gets over a certain forward speed (6 MPH), the parking brake is applied or a different input is manually selected on the display, such as the radio. If after the 30 seconds the reverse display is still showing, the display automatically returns to the last display before the car was put into reverse. If I powered the camera with the reverse bulb, the video screen would be blank for those 30 seconds. I needed the relay because the wire that tells the camera to turn on and off is only 6.5 volts, whereas the camera is rated 12 volts. I probably should have tested the camera to see if it would work on 6.5 volts but I forgot to do that. If the camera would work on 6.5 volts, I could have wired the camera directly to the 6.5 volt camera on/off wires and skipped the relay. On another note, here is a screen shot of the backup camera in action. Thanks.
    Too many ground connections? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2017 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
OK, maybe I missed that earlier.
noelleagan 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2017 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote noelleagan
Hi,...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge they are designed to illuminate behind the vehicle to aid the camera vision, and if you have it ON all the time, won't the light hurt the eyes of drivers behind you while you are driving forward? The license plate illuminators usually have a cover to prevent the light going straight behind, and illuminate only the license plate area.
gaford 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2017 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gaford
The license plate light points down and illuminates the license plate only. It does not shine backwards nor assist the rear view camera. Other backup cameras may have assist lights that point backwards and illuminate when the backup camera is on, but not this one. Thanks.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic