the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Ford Econovan/Mazda E2000

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electricmonk 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2017 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote electricmonk
Hi all, after some help sorting a bodgy install on my sons van we just bought.
Its a 2001 Ford Econovan/Mazda E200 MWB. I am sure its called a Bongo Brawny overseas.
Main problem is the speakers. The Kenwood deck I installed keeps going into speaker protect mode. The previous owner just cut the loom for the radio. I soldered the speaker wires the same way as the Sony unit had been.
Wires for the Speakers were Grey, Purple, Yellow and Blue with a yellow trace.
unused wires just hanging were Black, Pink with black trace,green with a red trace and blue with a pink or red trace.
So far I have found nothing that matches the speakers after ages of searching. The central locking does not work so not sure if any of the wires are involved with that. Van only has the two front speakers and all wires are from the same bundle. Switched and constant 12v as well as earth are wired in correctly
Any help greatly appreciated thanks :)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2017 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Sounds like either a wire or a speaker terminal is shorting to earth.
Disconnect radio, DMM, red probe to 12V+, black probe to each speaker wire. The problem wire will read 12V+.
Remove the speakers, if OEM speakers were once there, this will give you the correct colours at the radio end, confirm
by setting the DMM to continuity buzzer.
Look at the rear of each speaker, the right hand or larger terminal will be the + side.
electricmonk 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2017 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote electricmonk
Thanks Howie II, You wouldn't believe it but the guy we bought the van from was called Howie as well ha ha. Took the speakers out and it had Kenwood 4" in there. So I just rewired the speakers and bypassed the original wiring. The radio appears to work fine now and with it being Kenwood deck and speakers the wiring is the correct colour if anyone need to do anything in the future. Going to have to see what happens with the unconnected wires that had nothing to do with the speakers. Van has no dimmer function but one is probably instrument lights, black would be an earth. That just leaves 2 unknown. Central locking would never have been wired to the stereo would it? I cant think of any reason for it myself
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2017 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
No way the locks would have been wired to the radio loom.
electricmonk 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote electricmonk
Thanks. Thats what I thought. Would have been easier if they left the plug on so I could have seen where the wires were originally, but thems the brakes. Son's happy so I am as well. Thanks for your help

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic