the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Pairing Subwoofers with Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2017 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
After entering the Pioneer subs into WinISD here is my feedback.
The parameters of those subs make them more suited for a sealed box. If you get a sealed box or convert your existing to a sealed box then you will be safer running them with more power(Boss amp).
modeling 2 of them in a 2.4ft'3 box tuned to 40hz(i'm assuming 40hz because its common for pre-fab boxes) they will be much louder HOWEVER you are very likely to have noticeable port noise aka you'll hear huffing from the air moving through the port. This can be minimized by reducing the power that you run the speakers with. if you use those speakers in that box i would use the CV amp to reduce the noise and also prevent damage to the woofers. (this may be why the JVC sub blew?)
Most of the car audio brands depend on flashy marketing to sell their products(in regards to under/over rating). Even the CV amp says 1000WATTS MAX POWER!!!! so people will see that and think they are buying a powerful amp. They both are class A/B amps which is the electronic design of the amplifier. A/B amps are not very efficient and create a lot of heat as a result of the lost potential energy. Therefore the size of the amp's heat sync is a good indicator of how much power it will actually produce (more power=more heat).
The Boss amp will certainly put out more power than the CV just not likely to be as much as they claim and at the price of quality(higher heat=less efficient and higher distortion of the signal)....where the CV output numbers seem low relative to the physical size of the amp. Pick them up and let me know which one weighs more? This is a test that only applies to older (A/B) analog amps while the newer Class D and T amps are digital and are more efficient=less heat=less need for large heat sink.
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
tim86 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2017 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so basically the CV amp will give me better sound quality regardless of the power difference, and Tuesday is when the speakers arrive so I will let you know which amp weighs more and I'm assuming the one that weighs more is more efficient and powerful? And yea I believe the jvc's were only 125w rms each and I over powered them, but I got them used from a buddy of mine and had them for 2 years now with that alpine amp which is 600w rms and probably been over powering them as well. If I was to seal the port on my enclosure (not sure how to do that) and run the boss amp, would I get good sound and have louder bass as well? Or do you think no matter what just use the CV amp for better sound quality? Only reason why I want louder because I have Clarion door speakers and Tweeters and want the subs to keep up to the loudness lol, but I do want sound quality so again I'm guessing the CV amp is the way to go?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2017 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Weight has nothing to do with anything. Class D amplifiers are much more efficient than a class A/B amplifier. Class A B amplifiers weigh more because they need more heat sink to dissipate all of the extra heat they produce because of their inefficiency.
Do not get the jx500 for those subs. It is not 1 ohm stable, you would have to run it at 4 ohms. It will put out about 300 watts into that load.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2017 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
tim86 wrote:
Ok so basically the CV amp will give me better sound quality regardless of the power difference
Probably, however it most likly will not be as loud.
tim86 wrote:
the one that weighs more is more efficient and powerful?
Probably more efficient not necessarily more powerful.
I stand corrected again:
i am an idiot wrote:
Weight has nothing to do with anything.
That being said the pioneer subs have a relatively high sensitivity of 92db which I believe is an indicator of their response to the amount of power you provide them.
EXAMPLE powering a 92db rated sub with 100w will be louder than a 85db rated sub powered with 100w.
So they should get plenty loud with 275wrms @ 2ohm (see recommended reading below) in a ported box according to WinISD...if not loud enough for you feel free to experiment and use the Boss amp...Play with it its not that hard to swap the two amps out to see which you prefer before you get everything buttoned up.
Also there are other factors that we have not discussed like the voltage of the RCA output of your stereo, the RCA cable you are using(yes it can make a noticeable difference) and the power and ground wires you are using (Power/ground cable size)
It all can work together with different output/quality levels being the main difference in results.
Go to the Car audio hot topics area and read:
How to choose and amplifier
How to set your gains
Running one vc on a dvc sub (turns out I wasn't 100% correct earlier post)
Optimizing Equalizer Settings (in main car audio forum)
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
tim86 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2017 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the head unit and my ground and power cable is 4 gauge, and not sure about the rca cable, so from what I've read I can use 1 voice coil on the subs and wire them for a 2 ohm load to match with the cerwin amp, and if it's not loud enough I will have to try the boss amp, but I'm wondering if I should run 2 channel mode on the boss amp instead of bridging it (or would it matter?) and wire each sub to each channel, the enclosure has wire terminals for each sub so I could do that, but like you say I will have to experiment with it, I'm definitely gonna try the cerwin amp first because the boss amp is currently powering a single 12, in my other car but if the boss ends up being a better candidate for the 2 pioneer's I will put the CV amp in with the single 12 and then I gotta rewire that sub for the CV amp lol, alot of messing around but I'm learning more about this stuff, I've always loved audio and wiring stereos but honestly never really learned about matching Amps with Subs and enclosure's.
danmathew 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2017 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
I think that would be perfect for you. You can go for it!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic