the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 4105v Issues 2001 Jeep Cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jritchie94 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2017 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jritchie94
Hello,
I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that I have installed a Viper 4105v remote start system on. The Jeep does not have a factory immobilizer system and has a black key so I didnt have to install a bypass module. I have made all of the necessary connections that should start the jeep and when I hit any button on the remote, I get no response from the jeep at all. No light flash and no cranking or starting at all. Called Viper and they were obviously no help since Im not a professional installer. Does anyone know what my problem could be to cause this? Any hints or advice is greatly appreciated.
Jesse Ritchie
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,780
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2017 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Assuming this is a Cherokee and not a Grand Cherokee.
My first guess, without actually knowing the wires connected, would be "Did you connect the 4105
BLACK/WHITE (-) NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH INPUT to Chassis Ground?" Also assuming the Jeep is has
manual transmission because a 4105V is for auto trans vehicles only.
Soldering is fun!
jritchie94 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2017 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jritchie94
Yes, the Jeep is an automatic and is not a grand cherokee. I have the black and white neutral safety wire grounded. No hood pin switch and the wire for it is not touching ground. I have not hooked up door locks yet because I wanted to make sure it was going to start first. other than that, everything else is hooked up according to the jeep's wiring diagram. I did notice that there are 2 12V power wires in the ignition switch though, and I hooked both 12v power wires on the module to just one wire in the ignition switch. Could that cause an issue? I wouldnt think so because it will still get 12 volts either way but I'm getting desperate and running out of things to try. Do these Viper modules have to be flashed before they will work? when I talked to Viper on the phone they said that I would have to take it to a professional installer to get flashed before it would work but that doesnt seem right to me, it should work out of the box right?
Jesse Ritchie
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,780
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2017 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
I would split the Viper input power between the two +12V constant wires on the Jeep. That will not cure your current issue, but will be better for current balancing once you get it working.
No, the Viper 4105 shouldn't need to be flashed before use. It should work right out of the box. There might be some programming changes that need to be made at some point.
Something like this should work :
Viper 4105 to 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Main 9 Pin
1 LIGHT GREEN/BLACK FACTORY ALARM DISARM
2 GREEN/WHITE FACTORY REARM
3 YELLOW (+) IGNITION OUT (TO ALARM)   not used
4 WHITE/BLUE (-) ACTIVATION INPUT            not used
5 ORANGE (-) GROUND WHEN LOCKED       not used
6 BROWN (-) HORN OUTPUT     BLACK/RED (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
7 RED/WHITE (-) TRUNK RELEASE OUTPUT              not used
8 BLACK GROUND   chassis ground
9 WHITE (+/-) LIGHT FLASH* set to (+)           BLACK/YELLOW (+) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH
R/S 5 Pin
1 BLACK/WHITE (-) NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH INPUT        Chassis Ground
2 VIOLET/WHITE TACHOMETER INPUT WIRE            GRAY @ PCM, BLACK Plug
3 BROWN (+) BRAKE SWITCH SHUTDOWN WIRE     WHITE/TAN (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
4 GRAY (-) HOOD PINSWITCH SHUTDOWN WIRE       kit supplied hood pin
5 BLUE/WHITE (-) 200mA 2ND STATUS/REAR DEFOG              not used
4-pin satellite harness diagram
1 BLUE STATUS OUTPUT           not used
2 ORANGE (-) ACCESSORY OUTPUT    not used
3 PURPLE (-) STARTER OUTPUT           not used
4 PINK (-) IGNITION OUTPUT not used
Heavy gauge 6 Pin
1 RED (+) (30A) HIGH CURRENT 12V INPUT            RED (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
2 PINK/WHITE (+) PROGRAMMed to IGN BLACK/ORANGE (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
3 RED (+) (30A) HIGH CURRENT 12 INPUTPINK/BLACK (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
4 ORANGE (+) (30 AMP) OUTPUT TO ACC CIRCUIT            BLACK/WHITE (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
5 PURPLE (+) (30 AMP) OUTPUT TO STARTER CIRCUIT   YELLOW (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
6 PINK (+) (30 AMP) OUTPUT TO IGNITION CIRCUIT        DARK BLUE (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Door lock harness, 3-pin connector
1 BLUE (-) UNLOCK OUTPUT          PINK/PURPLE (TYPE B) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL   
2 EMPTY NOT USED
3 GREEN (-) LOCK OUTPUT              ORANGE/PURPLE (TYPE B) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL
Soldering is fun!
jritchie94 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2017 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jritchie94
Thank you for that! The only thing on that list that I don't have hooked up is the factory alarm arm and disarm wires. Could that cause my problem and where would those wires be? I assumed without a immobilizer system I wouldnt need to use these. Other than that and splitting the two power wires talked about before, that is identical to how I hooked it up as far as i can remember without being at the jeep right now to look at it. I Will go back through everything with this list and double check everything and let you know if I figure anything out.
Jesse Ritchie
ziggyb222 
Silver - Posts: 593
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2017 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ziggyb222
Do you get any response from the transmitters???Are you sure the transmitters are programmed to the brain? Where did you get the unit? Ebay stuff sometimes are parts thrown together and the transmitters are not paired to the brain!!!!
jritchie94 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2017 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jritchie94
I bought it off of amazon. I programmed the brain because thats what I first assumed the problem was. They should be programmed now and still no response
Jesse Ritchie
jritchie94 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2017 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jritchie94
Transmitters to the brain**
Jesse Ritchie
ziggyb222 
Silver - Posts: 593
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2017 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ziggyb222
make sure your antenna is plugged in and there are no bent pins on the connectors. Did you get a response when programming the transmitters?
jritchie94 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2017 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jritchie94
Thank you all for the advice! As much as I hate to admit what the problem was, it was definitely a major rookie mistake.. Had the antenna plugged into the wrong spot on the module Viper 4105v Issues 2001 Jeep Cherokee - Last Post -- posted image.. After figuring that out I finally got it to start. Had to adjust the settings a bit to get it to stay running but all is good now and everything is working like it should. One question I have though about the tach reading feature.. I have the tach wire attached to the gray wire going to the PCm in the black plug, but I couldnt get the module to learn the tach signal. I ended up just turning the engine monitoring feature off on the module and it is starting and running fine now, but I don't really like the idea of not having that safety enabled. Any advice on that?
Jesse Ritchie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic