the12volt.com spacer
icon

Correct use of Pin 87a

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shwa 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2018 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shwa
Hi all.
Great forum, really helpful for someone like me (complete novice!)
So I had a question about wiring a light bar up with a trigger wire and a switch. I found my answer here: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=143717#727647
Which has raised a new question for me. I thought I might have been able to wire the switch through Pin 87a. From the above post, that's not the way to go about it. So could someone please help me understand how Pin 87a should be correctly utilised?
Cheers
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2018 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
87a would not be used in your case. 87a and 30 are connected when the coil is not energized. When the coil is energized, 87 and 30 are connected.
87a would be used if you needed to open a connection.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
shwa 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2018 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shwa
Still not sure I'm on this. As you stated, 87a and 30 are connected when there is no charge going through the coil. As such, my thinking was that if I could run a switch between 37a and the + of the light bar, I would be sorted. I realise this isn't the way to go now, but I just don't quite get the reasoning.
geepherder 
Posted: January 01, 2018 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
So wait- you're not using the switch to simply trigger the relay?
One of the main purposes of using a relay is to switch a larger amount of current than a typical switch can handle. As long as your switch is rated to handle the current required by the light bar, you could switch it through 87a. However, since you already have a relay, why not just use the switch to trigger it?
shwa 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2018 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shwa
I should clarify that the switch is a push button switch on the dash. At this point (wired as it is) the light bar comes on with my high beam, which is great for on the Rd. I want to be able to flick them on without the headlights though, mostly for camping purposes or if I just need more light without running all lights etc.
geepherder 
Posted: January 02, 2018 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Is your push button a momentary switch (only on while button is pressed), or is it a mechanical latching switch (push once on, push again off)?
shwa 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2018 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shwa
Mechanical latching switch.
geepherder 
Posted: January 02, 2018 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
As long as it's rated to handle the current of your light bar, it would work through 87a from what you describe.
shwa 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2018 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shwa
Wow! I worked something electrical out!
I'm a little impressed, but that falls over when it just doesn't work. Not sure why and without going over it yourself. But your help has been greatly appreciated and I have those diodes on their way so will try that way and see if it works for me or not. Cheers and happy new year!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic