the12volt.com spacer
icon

Python 5706p - unlock issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rainmn 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2018 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rainmn
Hi, first post here, so I hope this is in the right place.
I recently bought a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser that came with a Python 5706p installed. Works great, aside from one intermittent issue. If the truck is not remote started, the remote lock / unlock always works fine. Remote start works fine as well. The issue is that once the truck is remote started, it sometimes doens't want to unlock. The Python remote will sound the error tone after a few seconds, which I believe is to indicate it didn't get a confirmation back from the alarm. When this happens, usually two or three tries gets it to work, however sometimes it will work on the first shot. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with range, as it will happen standing next to the truck.
I've gone through all the programming and wiring, and can't seem to find anything wrong. (This truck give me flashbacks, since I was an installer back around the time it was new) My first guess was that maybe only one of the two door unlock wires was connected, but I verified that they are both connected correctly with diodes
Hoping someone can give me some ideas...my wife is getting tired of standing outside the truck in the cold, waiting for me to get it to open. At least it's warm inside once she gets in.
Thanks
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2018 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
This won't necessarily point to a solution, but I'd try to narrow it down further. If you're in a busy area with lots of electrical noise, or if you have overhead power lines nearby, drive to a more isolated area (an empty parking lot in a rural area). See if your problem persists.
Is your issue only with unlock, or all other features, too? Try to kill remote start, lock, place in valet, etc.
If you start with the key rather than remote start, do you still have the same issue? Is it isolated to one remote or the other? Have you noticed your range suffering lately? Have you checked the batteries in the remote? Have you checked your vehicle battery/alternator?
Alternatively, you could consider adding on Smart Start. It would require a paid subscription, but you'd be able to control through your phone.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
rainmn 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2018 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rainmn
Thanks for the suggestions....I'll try later tonight to see if I can narrow it down any further.
I definitely need to try out other features while it's running. I seem to recall having an issue remotely shutting the truck down, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. Also need to test the other remote.
Some of those I'm pretty sure I can rule out now. Range hasn't been an issue at all, and the remote is fully charged. Haven't played around too much with the one-way remote, but will later on. (I haven't driven the truck very much since I bought it in Oct....it's a project / toy)
Battery is new, and I'm pretty sure the alternator is charging fine.
Outside electrical noise can probably be ruled out as well, since it will have this issue in my driveway. Very quiet area, no overhead electrical anywhere nearby. Doesn't seem to make a difference if I'm home or out anywhere else.
Smart Start isn't something I have any interest in adding. The truck doesn't get used enough, and the 2-way remote has more than enough range.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2018 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Keysense.
rainmn 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2018 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rainmn
howie ll wrote:
Keysense.
I've searched here and other sources, and can't find anything about a keysense connection for my truck. None of the vehicle wiring charts even list it.
I was also able to do a bit more testing, and it does seem as if all functions are flaky once the truck is remote started...not just unlock. Trying to remotely shut the truck down is the same: Sometimes it will work on the first shot, other times I have to try a few times.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2018 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Apologise, no keysense on this vehicle, 2nd. ignition connected? Also check voltages between the 5706 15 amp fie and ground, last make sure all plugs on the 5706 are secure,l I've had a 5706 kludged up from other units for around 5 years, 4 different vehicles, never a problem.
You shouldn't need diodes with that 5706, lock/unlock straight NEG @ 300 milliamps, to a low current Toyota trigger, try removing the diodes.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic