the12volt.com spacer
icon

PNP vs NPN

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
--weezl-- 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote --weezl--
I'm doing my level 2 heavy duty course right now, electronics section, instructor is talking about PNP vs npn transistors (I know they aren't relays, but they are similar in many ways) instructor says he has a very easy way to remember npn vs PNP, but can't tell us because it's offensive and he could get in a LOT of trouble...
Does anyone have any idea what this method would be?
I found a lot of things that say
PNp means
Pointing iN
NPN means
Not Pointing iN
But this is bugging the whole class, as to what the "dirty" version is.
Thanks!
no signature needed
lmlisak 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2018 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lmlisak
???
I was not taught that...
I dont want to imagine an instructors take on a xistor..PNP vs NPN - Last Post -- posted image.
xyzzy
astuff 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2018 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote astuff
Left off a word:    PNP = Pointing iN Please
jaybonez 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2018 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaybonez
Pnp means positive negative positive and npn negative positive negative and I am almost one hundred percent that this refers to the leads that come out of the bottom so the pnp would mean the first lead is positive and the middle lead is negative and the third lead is positive .and vise versa or the npn
%Pattonz~pleasure~palace%
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 07, 2018 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
On a schematic diagram, the symbol for a transistor has an arrow on it. The arrow points to the negative junction. Symbol for npn
symbol for pnp
NPN not pointing in. The arrow points away from the center.
PNP pointing in Please The arrow points to the center junction. (Known as the Base)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic