the12volt.com spacer
icon

2012 Honda CR-v adding a power unlock button

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cruelsun 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2018 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cruelsun
Current dilemma: I would like to add a hidden power unlock button to the exterior of my car.
I occasionally need to be separated from my car keys, but want to still have access to the car and a spare key hidden inside. (I did have a "Hide-a-Key" which went missing with a $75 key inside..)
Is there any reason that a simple momentary contact switch could not be connected in parallel to one of the interior unlock buttons?
Has anyone here done this, and is there any how-to, pictorial, etc that you can direct me to?
I am reasonably handy, understand simple wiring, but do not want to jeopardize my car with a noob mistake.
I have gotten info here for a couple projects over the years, but never needed to register/ask before. Thank you all for being here.
cruelsun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2018 at 5:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cruelsun
Would there be a better place to pick up the needed wires, than going direct to a door mounted lock/unlock switch? The car is equipped with an after market remote start. Maybe I could access the circuit there?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2018 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Interesting question. The first issue is overall vehicle security. A push button switch,
easily accessible on the outside of your car would allow anyone to unlock and enter your
vehicle. If it was discreetly hidden and very hard to find / locate, it would still be
an unacceptable risk that your insurance company might take exception to. Additionally,
if exposed to the weather ( under the wheel well, etc ), a very weather-proof switch and
wiring would be necessary.
All that being said, it should be faily easy to accomplish. First questions would be
What Brand and Model of R/S and bypass module is currently installed?
Does it have remote FOB's that can unlock the doors?
Here is the info for a direct connection to the vehicle.
POWER UNLOCK   GRAY (-) TYPE B   IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL @ DOOR HARNESS, 18-PIN PLUG, PIN 14
FACTORY ALARM DISARM   BROWN (-) (TEST WITH DRIVERS DOOR KEY)   IN DRIVERS KICK @ DOOR HARNESS, 18-PIN PLUG, PIN 9
Soldering is fun!
cruelsun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2018 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cruelsun
Stealth and weather protection will be addressed. May even have 2 switches in series, hidden in separate places. So to unlock, a toggle would have to be thrown before the momentary contact switch would be able to close the circuit to the lock solenoid. This is a system that I expect to need access to only 1- 5 times a year.
kreg357 wrote:
What Brand and Model of R/S and bypass module is currently installed?
Not currently known. Will find and photograph.
kreg357 wrote:
Does it have remote FOB's that can unlock the doors?
Yes.
I plan to always have a full function factory Honda remote/Key hidden inside the car. so that once I have the doors open, I have full control. But I will not have a R/S key fob available, if that matters.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2018 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Good info. A simple ground pulse applied to those wires will unlock the doors.
Does the CR-V have the Factory Alarm system? Is the after market R/S system
an alarm system also with it's own siren ( or horn beep )?
Soldering is fun!
cruelsun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2018 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cruelsun
Not sure, and yes, but I don't think the security features are engaged on the R/S. I do know that if I remote-start the car, I will not be able to unlock it with the factory key fob until the remote start unit goes through it's full sequence, or is released by the R/S's own key fob. So the R/S unit does have control superceeding the car's factory system during that period of time.
kreg357 
Posted: January 28, 2018 at 5:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Besides getting the after-market R/S and bypass module Brand/Model info, you should do
a test to see if you make the Factory Alarm and or an after-market alarm system. Just
open the drivers door window, turn off the vehicle, open the drivers door, press the
lock button in the door, close the door, press the factory FOB lock button twice, press
the after-market lock button once then wait 2 minutes. Then open the drivers door with
the inner door release handle. Any sirens or horn beeps? Press unlock on the after-market
FOB. Do they stop? Press unlock on the Factory FOB. Do they stop?
Soldering is fun!
cruelsun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2018 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cruelsun
Thank you for your interest. I will follow that procedure and report back, hopefully later today.
northcoauto 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2018 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote northcoauto
I've got a suggestion, have you thought about using a Ford passcode bar the old style off 99 ish explorers. Are hard wired. I have a way to get the code. Got to a pick and pull yard gives you some security! Just a thought I have wired them before.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic