the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to boost 2v to 12v - shift light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eriktande 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2018 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eriktande
https://www./itm/Black-1000-11000-RPM-Adjustable-Tachometer-Tacho-Gauge-Shift-Light-Red-LED/252979787357?hash=item3ae6c5365d:g:gtEAAOSwq~tZOLIz&vxp=mtr
I have an automotive shift light (linked above) that is powered by 12v and outputs out to a small LED light. However, the output to the light is only 2v. I need it to output 12v. (I want it to light up a whole string of LED's, and 2 volts is too dim.)
How can I do this?   Relay? Some other means?   Thanks in advance!
How to boost 2v to 12v - shift light - Last Post -- posted image.
How to boost 2v to 12v - shift light - Last Post -- posted image.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2018 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
The simplest and probably safest (least chance of frying something) solution would be to use a photo "light" sensor to control a transistor. You can always desolder the LED and run wires to relocate it where you need. A transistor would be preferable over a relay since triggering a relay may add an extra 1/4 second or so and would not be indicative of your chosen shift point.
Just make sure to keep power consumption in mind when selecting your components so you're not asking too much from the wrong transistor.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic