the12volt.com spacer
icon

Relay Circuit, Floor, Overhead Lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jfar164521 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2018 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jfar164521
I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler. When I open the doors the floor lights come on. For the overhead lights to come on I have to push a button up top. I figured I could run a relay from the floor lights to the overhead lights so that when I open the door, both circuits come on. The problem is when I hooked up the circuit, it did not work. I have a 12 V, 30 amp relay. Both circuits are under 20 amps. When I hook the floor lights up to the relay, they come on but the overhead will not come on. If I hook the circuit up the opposite way, the floor lights still come on but the overhead lights do not. I don't understand why this happens. Am I using the right hardware? Should I use a 40 amp relay. I know a 5 pin would not change anything because I want both of them on at the same time.
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2018 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Do you hear the relay click?
Your problem isn't related to the relay rating.
Publish how you have hooked things up so we can help you.
jfar164521 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2018 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jfar164521
Thank you for your reply,
I do hear the relay clicking. The first circuit is the smaller voltage circuit. I have 2 floor lights and a small speaker attached to the fuse box and 2 switches for the doors. If the doors open, the floor lights turn on and the ringing noise starts to occur. I then spliced the wire between a light and the fuse box which stops the circuit entirely. I then put this on the relay switch side. when the doors open, I hear a small clicking noise. The second circuit is between the fuse box and 2 overhead lights. I also spliced one wire and attached the two ends to the other sides of the relay. So I have set up the relay a few different ways. Ideally, both ways should turn all the lights on at once. First situation I attached the floor lights to the electromagnetic pins and the floor lights came on. I then attached the overhead lights to the opposite pins and just the floor lights stayed on. The second situation is when I hooked the overhead lights to the electromagnetic pins and nothing happened. Then I hooked the floor lights to the opposite pins and they will turn on and off as I pull one electromagnetic pin on and off. The problem is, the overhead lights will never turn on. I even tested them to make sure they would work by touching their wires together without the relay and the overhead light turned on. I don't understand. Maybe the 30 amp relay is to small for the overhead lights?
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2018 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Are you doing something like this?
Where remote turn on connects to your floor lights and additional accessories side connects to your dome lights.
Relay Circuit, Floor, Overhead Lights - Last Post -- posted image.
jfar164521 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2018 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jfar164521
Hopefully this explains the two circuits best. I do not know if a relay is the right piece of hardware in order to connect the two circuits but if there is another component that would make this work the way I wish, please let me know.
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2018 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
If the answer is 'Yes' to my question, the relay coil (85&86) isn't being energized - you would need to connect 85 to +12V instead of ground.
When you manually power up the dome lights - are you connecting a ground wire to the terminal that is connected to 30 on the relay?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic