the12volt.com spacer
icon

Shorter horn chirp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2018 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
The FCC ID may be inside the case.
Leave the resistor in parallel with the capacitor to discharge the capacitor before the next chirp.
I can't tell from the picture - but do you have both the capacitor and resistor in parallel across the relay coil (instead of in series per the diagram)?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2018 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Remove the wire that connects to the vehicle horn wiring. Use a relay if needed to make that wire flash the parking lights.
ice-hot 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2018 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ice-hot
Thanx for the reply's,
I think I have it just as the diagram shows.
Here is a pic. of my next try, I decided to use a little more dependable relay.
Shorter horn chirp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Shorter horn chirp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Shorter horn chirp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
So the attached black is to ground and the rest will wire per. diagram.
Any thoughts, warnings before the fire flys.
I am also trying a 220uf 16v cap. I am looking for around 0.25 or lower.
Thanx again for all the help,
John A.
John B.
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2018 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Usually the output from an alarm or remote start that honks the horn is negative going so it would seem that what you really want to configure is this.
Shorter horn chirp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
ice-hot 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2018 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ice-hot
Hi, and thanx for the reply,
This is a used "97" F-150 that I just bought for my son.
It came with this key less entry already installed in it. It was working but the horn chirp at lock was like 2 seconds.
I know it does not seem that long, unless you're the one in bed or standing by the truck when it goes off!
Then it seems like a looong honk. So I installed the relay with the 220uf cap. (the one pictured in this post) last night.
Worked great, gave about a .15 second chirp, but while installing it I found out that P.O. or installer wired the horn chirp on there own by tying into the only wire that's active when lock command is given at the remote, that's a 2 second positive output. We then tried the horn button and poped the horn fuse. Then we tried the locks from the switch in the truck and found they also give a .15 sec. chirp.
So my next question is where do I install diodes to prevent the chirp when the switches in the truck are activated and prevent the blown fuse when the horn is used. Or can it even be done?
Sorry about the long post, but I thought some background would help.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
John A
edit: and yes eguru that should have been done in the first place, if so would it have prevented the blown fuse and chirp at switches?
John B.
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2018 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
If you modify the circuit to trigger from the positive going unlock output to create a momentary negative going pulse for the horn, that should fix all the issues.
Shorter horn chirp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
ice-hot 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2018 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ice-hot
Thanx, I will give that a try and post back my results.
John A
John B.
ice-hot 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2018 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ice-hot
To fallow up on the outcome, The constant to momentary negative worked great.
Can use horn without blowing fuse and using a 220uf gave me a nice short chirp BUT,
horn still chirps when operating lock and unlock from the switches inside truck.
I think this can be solved with diodes but i'm not sure where to locate them.
Up at the switches, down at the unit, at the horn connection?
I could use a little guidance here.
Thanx you for your time,
John A.
John B.
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2018 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
You will need to add a blocking diode to your door unlock circuit. Shorter horn chirp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic