the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

First Stereo Install Ever. Can I Work with What I Have?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rlnewbie1 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2018 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rlnewbie1
I have never installed a stereo system before now. I lucked up and bought a pioneer deh-x6500bt with Mitrax and bluetooth for $10! I installed it myself to quickly decide that the factory speakers just don't do it for the sound quality. I bought a 6 ohm 8 inch bandpass style subwoofer first for $30. Then after reading more into the ohms and details of the power distribution I realized that I would need an amp to push this sub. Well again I lucked up and found a 1 ohm Alpine mono block class D 1 channel amp for $50 with a Dual brand 12 inch 4 ohm speaker in a sealed box throws in. My first question is; can I use the 12 inch as a full range speaker and connect it to the factory speaker rear output leads and then connect only the sub to the amp to the reciever? Wondering if that would take some of the strain the factory speakers seem to be doing whether I have just the bandpass sub to amp or just the 12 inch to the amp? I have a 2000 Ford Explorer.
Thks from rlnewbie1
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 17, 2018 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
technically yes you can hook up the 12 inch sub as a regular speaker, but you really don't want to. You have to remember most 12 inch subs will take at least 80 watts continuous to run. You deck is only gonna push 15-22 watts max with about 10-15 watts continuous. You are more likely to blow a sub from under powering than over powering it. Its just gonna sound like crap, 12 subs are designed to only produce 100 hertz frequency and down not the full spectrum. Subs need to have at least a 100 watt amp to run them. put in in easy terms to understand because i don't wanna confuse or us big words i under stand but you don't.. think of a Olympic size swimming pool and your trying to fill it with a garden hose.
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2018 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
mgoetz74 wrote:
...You are more likely to blow a sub from under powering than over powering.
...12 subs are designed to only produce 100 hertz frequency and down not the full spectrum. Subs need to have at least a 100 watt amp to run them. put in in easy terms to understand because i don't wanna confuse or us big words i under stand but you don't.. think of a Olympic size swimming pool and your trying to fill it with a garden hose.
Not true. "Under powering" will never blow a sub.
Each subwoofer will have a natural high frequency roll off. Your preference may be to use a 12" subwoofer at 100 hertz and below, but it can play frequencies above 100 hertz. Subs do not have to have at least 100 watts to run them. While it will take a relatively long time, you can still fill an olympic size swimming pool with a garden hose.
First Stereo Install Ever. Can I Work with What I Have? - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2018 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
mgoetz74, Too Little Power
First Stereo Install Ever. Can I Work with What I Have? - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic