the12volt.com spacer
icon

2004 Buick Regal Car Starting Issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wiebenor 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2018 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wiebenor
Hello guys, my name is North, and I'm new here.
First off, I don't know if this is in the right forum, but it looks like the closest thing at least.
My problem is that I have 2 resister keys for my 2004 buick regal, and lately I have not been able to start my car much if at all. Basically I stick my key in and turn it, but it don't start my car, although once in a great while my car will start when I switch my key out for my other key(and vice-versa). I do have a problem with my multi-function switch for headlights wipers, cruise,and all that stuff, but I know what my problem is there, and have that part at my mechanics shop already, I just need my car to start reliably to get it there. thanks in advance
Signed,
North W.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2018 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
If you have a Digital Multi Meter and a soldering iron and want complete starting reliability and don't care about the anti-theft function of the VATS system ( nice run-on sentence ) you could bypass the VATS system with a simple resistor.
Get a Directed 652T kit and lookup on YouTube for the basic procedure. We can supply specifics...
Soldering is fun!
wiebenor 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2018 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wiebenor
Just so you guys are aware, im not exactly sure of my starting problem, as it relates to the key switch, but i would like to know if anyone knows what exactly my problem is. I would also like to thank you for responding so quickly, and would like to ask if bypassing the security is the only fix.
Thank you.
P.s. I am not very good with soldering.
Signed,
North W.
atomykhd 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2018 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atomykhd
The problem is your VATS isn't seeing the proper resistance from your key. Permanently bypassing is the guaranteed to work solution. It is possible that your multifunction switch has something to do with it, but if it was me I would read the key resistance, and solder a resistor in to bypass the system.
wiebenor 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2018 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wiebenor
So is it easy to solder one in, and where would I look to find a resistor to buy thats the right size?
Also you guys say digital multimeter, but would an old needle style meter work? My dad has one, if it will.
Thanks for all the replies and help!
P.s. Is there instructions on how to find the proper wires to solder anywhere else, or on here
Signed,
North W.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2018 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The problem you are experiencing is very common for that type vehicle with the VATS system.   
Repairing it yourself will require some time researching the issue and learning about the VATS
system. Most people go with the soldered in resistor method to eliminate the "no-start"
condition. It does remove the engine immobilizer security and make it easier for a thief to
steal your car but there is no visible evidence that the resistor bypass has been installed.
If you spend the time, you will discover that there are 15 possible resistor values. The
Directed 652T kit mentioned above contains all 15 values of resistors and can be found
on EBay for $4.36 delivered to your door.   The non-Digital Multi Meter you have will
get you a close but not an exact reading. Perhaps you can find a friend that has the DMM
and get the exact reading off of your keys that way.
As for soldering, your work doesn't have to be text book pretty, only functional. That
being said, those VATS wire are very thin and somewhat delicate. A 25 watt soldering
iron is the best choice for this job.
There are many YouTube videos on this. While you may not find one on your exact vehicle,
most of the VATS systems are very similar. Research and watch a bunch of them. If you
don't feel confident to do the job, bring the car to a 12 Volt shop and ask for a price from
them.
There are other ways to bypass the VATS system. They are more expensive and require
more wire connections to your car. You could use an ADS TBSL PL bypass module and
the cars Keysense wire to turn it on. Again more research and learning is needed to
accomplish the task with this method.
Soldering is fun!
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2018 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
The actual "problem" with your car is most likely the wires from the key tumbler to the switch junction under the steering wheel. These are delicate, tiny wires that get torsioned every time you turn the key. Over time, they break. The standard repair is to replace the lock cylinder. Requires removal of the airbag, steering wheel and turn signal switch. Because an 04 has airbags, this is not a job for a DIY'r unless you know what you are doing. In my area (So Cal) there are a bunch of repair shops that specialize in GM steering column theft-repair. I'm guessing a shop like this could do the repair in about 45 minutes if you handed them the part from a dealer.
A good clue that pinpoints the problem as being VATS-related is if the SECURITY light goes on SOLID when you turn the key to START, but it does not crank. If your SECURITY light IS going solid, it is about 95% certain its the little wires are broken. If they aren't stealing 15 year old Buicks in your area, I'd just bypass the VATS as Kreg suggests.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic