the12volt.com spacer
icon

Excessive Current to Alpine MRD M1005 Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shadydee2 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shadydee2
Hi im having a problem and need help. My mono block amp , an alpine mrd m1005 is saying its getting excessive current. What would cause this. Its a dual amp set up with second battery and an battery isolator. 2nd amp is a jl audio jx360/4 4 ch. The 2nd bat is a xs d3400. Please help. Ty.
daren obrecht
shadydee2 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shadydee2
Car is a 2000 honda accord coup 3.0 liter vtec. Regular key? Not sure of that.
daren obrecht
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
What speaker(s) do you have connected/how is it/are they wired? What is the impedance load on the amplifier?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
shadydee2 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shadydee2
2 12 in dvc lightening audio wited in series parallel presenting a 2 ohm load and amp is rated at 1000 rms at 2 ohms. Each sub is 500 tms. But the subs have no output vus the amp shut down until i get rid of the excess current. Should i remive the secondary battery or the isolator? Maybe tun a kinetic and no isolator instead? If i i wire in an epi center will tgat lower the current somewhat? Never dealt with this before.
daren obrecht
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I'd suggest disconnecting the speakers from the amp and see if the error goes away. Then touch your meter leads to your speaker wires to read the resistance. That way you can verify you don't have a shorted voice coil.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
I agree with the possibility of a shorted voice coil or 2. 1 on each speaker. The excessive current is usually referring to the output of the amplifier. Not current going into the amplifier.   Too low of an ohm load equals excessive current.
shadydee2 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2018 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shadydee2
The subs where wired in series parallel to present a 2 ohm load which the amp is stable at. I measured the voice coils and they were reading 8 ohms which cant be right so i gotta get a different meter and see whats the deal. Meter was reading my new memphis subs wrong too.
daren obrecht
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Posted: June 01, 2018 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
If 1 voice coil of each speaker is shorted, each driver would then be a 2 ohm. 2 paralleled 2 ohm drivers will be 1 ohm. Highly unlikely that you have 1 shorted coil on both woofers, but it could happen.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2018 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
An ohm meter reads the voice coil DCR or DC Resistance. It is normally quite low, on the order of 1 ohm or less. This is not the same thing as the rated impedance and indeed the two only have a passing relationship. If you amp is shutting down due to overload then either your net speaker impedance is too low or the amp has a problem. If it was working fine before but suddenly started showing this behavior then follow the guidance from the smart members above. Disconnect your speakers and see if the amp will stay on with nothing connected to it. If it shuts down then the amp is fried. If it does stay on then check each woofer's voice coils DCR looking for ZERO - nearly any reading greater than zero is likely OK unless it is infinity or open - and also check from the speaker terminal to the frame to see if it grounded out. Terminal to ground should be infinity.
Support the12volt.com
shadydee2 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shadydee2
I greatly appreciate the information gleaned from the last 2 responses to my post. The amp was or is ok as i had already disconnected the subs from it when i first saw the message in the amps digital readout. However the info about the v coils and zero i did not know. So now ill go pick up another meter and measure away. Its no hurry because i put my mtx 7801 thunder in with my 2 new memphis audio 12s, theyre street references at 250 apiece , entry level but still hood enough for now. I have a lot of subs and mono block anps i can swap in and out. Thanks again tho cus i was left clueless every other way i tried finding out an answer to this question.
daren obrecht

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic