the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Putting Different VDC Amp Turn On and Power Safe?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vitasoy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hi I just signed up here and this is my first time posting a question on car audio fourms period but I have before on car racing and performance fourms.
I have searched on Google and I can't seem to find the info I need or maybe I'm not searching on the right places.
I long time ago for a different project I built my own powerful step up DC DC converter that handles 2500 watts from 12 volts. And I have 2 of them that I can put in parrelel.
My problem is I have recently spent alot of money on car audio and my setup is an Orion hcca 12 black coil version with 8x 8 inch Orion hcca 8nhps for my midrange with tweets. My setup is pulling a good 3000 watts or 250 amps with nothing else on like ac defoggers etc. For electric I have a rebuilt alternator 200 amps for my 1997 BMW 328i with 0000 gauge wiring a also have a cheap Rockville 50 farad cap which yes I know it's crap but will change it for sure...
With 3000 watts of load my voltage is still dropping below 11. My plans is a the big 4 which I have not done yet but the important part is I never seen or researched people putting a step up converter for car audio.
To the question is it safe to inline a step up boost converter from the battery to amp. Like I think it's completely fine since cars these days are full of regulators to begins with.
Second question is how will the amps remote turn on work. For example should I setup a seperate switch or keep the remote as 12 volts?
I will be using the 2 parrallal boost converters with resisters to maintain a stable voltage set to exactly 14.4 or even 14.6 or something but does the remote turn on have to be the same voltage.
The last thing I want is a short to my cars electrical system
Sorry if this is long but I've been trying to solve this problem for more than a year now.
I also want to avoid the switch and use a remote turn on some way. Any help and suggestions would be great
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2018 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
How are you expecting to pull 250Amps out of an alternator that is rated 200Amps?
vitasoy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2018 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
200 amps was the max that my shop can rebuild my alternator. I'm only doing burps and playing music so I was told 200amps is enough for just that
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2018 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
The power supply control chips in most amplifiers have over voltage protection. You need to keep the remote 13.8 or lower.
You will not be able to do what you are trying to do with these power supplies. It will take more current from your battery than it is demanding now. Can't do it now, for sure will not be able to handle feeding this supply unless it is 159% efficient. We all doubt that can happen, but if you do make that happen, let us in on the schematic. I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2018 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Is there room under the hood for a second alternator? And room in the trunk for 2 8 volt batteries?
They do make alternators with adjustable regulators.
vitasoy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2018 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Ok make sense I know I will be dropping more volts with my power supply added and my power supplies have an effeciency of 89%. I guess I cannot do it.
Just wondering some of my local people are telling me I need to spend alot more on capacitors which give me little improvement. I was told Maxwell or xspower caps at onwards of 400 farads is what I need I only have 50 farad but knowing that my cap is Rockville it maybe only 10 farad in reality.
Do I really need to go that crazy on caps? The Xs power sb630 super capacitor bank cost $1k where I live
vitasoy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2018 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
I do have room for a second alternator but I don't know where or who does custom brackets and what about the belt. Sorry i only know electrical but electrical+cars and adding a second alternator is a different story making me a noob
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2018 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Do not spend any money on capacitors. Do not boost the voltage on your system. Add a larger alternator or a second alt. Batteries, caps, etc. can only store power they cannot make it, only alternators can. And voltage boosting system (as was already mentioned) only add current load on your already overloaded alt. If you want to run a big system you need big power supplies, and the power supply in a vehicle is the engine driving alternators.
Support the12volt.com
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2018 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Do not spend any money on capacitors. Do not boost the voltage on your system. Add a larger alternator or a second alt. Batteries, caps, etc. can only store power they cannot make it, only alternators can. And voltage boosting system (as was already mentioned) only add current load on your already overloaded alt. If you want to run a big system you need big power supplies, and the power supply in a vehicle is the engine driving alternators.
Glad to see somebody talking sense about these issues. Especially about capacitors which have a large potential to damage alternators and regulators due to the extremely high peak surge currents that are required to recharge them after they have discharged their energy into the sound system. They keep the alternator repair guys as happy as the car audio sound guys who sell those over-priced capacitors.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic