the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

3 Pairs of Component Speakers, Do I Install All 3 Pairs of Tweeters?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01avalonguy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2018 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 01avalonguy
Plan to install 3 pairs of component speakers (5.25" front door, 6.5" rear door, 6"x8" rear shelf) in my sedan. OE stereo has 1 pair of in-dash tweeters so that is 1 pair spoken for (or tweeted for, if you will) - but would the other 2 pairs of tweeters play anything, especially the rear shelf "mid-bass" targeted speakers? Fwiw I do not have a sound processor or equalizer (aside from rudimentary head unit controls), but if it would take more full advantage of all 6 speakers then I would consider that route.
I am a newb and my head is spinning from browsing posts that mostly seem aimed at tuning existing setups, so any guidance is deeply appreciated right now as I get the final plans together before the big install!
I'll muddle this up somehow, some way
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2018 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
With or without an equalizer, the rear deck speakers should be avoided.
They do not add any realism or accuracy to the sound you hear in the front seats and are just very annoying to the rear seat passengers that have those speakers inches away from their ears.
Use your rear door speakers for bass effects.
01avalonguy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2018 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 01avalonguy
They do not add anything because they face up from the back or because their sound is already being produced by the other speakers? The OE 8" subwoofer is / was located center rear shelf, fwiw.
Not too worried about the second problem because no one ever rides in my car :/
I'll muddle this up somehow, some way
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2018 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
01avalonguy wrote:
They do not add anything because they face up from the back or because their sound is already being produced by the other speakers? The OE 8" subwoofer is / was located center rear shelf, fwiw.
Not too worried about the second problem because no one ever rides in my car :/
The rear shelf is fine for a subwoofer because low frequencies are not easily localized in space by our hearing.
Full range speakers projecting from the rear provide an abnormal/non-realistic listening experience.
We don't set up our home theater speakers with the most powerful ones at the rear of the room - so why do it in your car?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2018 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Agree, use the rear deck for a subwoofer if at all. Install the front door set as designed using your best speakers and install the read door using at least the woofer and crossover that came with your comp set - install the tweeters in the rear doors if you like. Use the head unit fader to favor the front door speakers 60/40.
Support the12volt.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic