the12volt.com spacer
icon

04 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Alarm/Remote Start Beginner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scate636 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2018 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote scate636
Again Im very new to this stuff so please be patient. Ive been doing a tons of research but Im finding some of my answers arent easy to find.
To start I have an 04 Chevy Silverado 1500 that I would like to install a security/remote start system in.
Initially, I was looking at the Avital 5303L and DB3 bypass for about $150. It had all the features I was after, until I found out I couldnt flash the unit.
I really dont like the idea of limiting my self by buying a unit that I cant change options in at a later date.
This kind of leads me to several questions.
Ive noticed that there is sellers out there flashing the DB3 prior to shipping to the customer.
-Is this a good option or will I be kicking my self later on being locked out of the Bypass?
Reading the 5303L manual I noticed that there is some "Bitwriter" options
-Do I also need to flash the 5303L or are most of the option configurable via the remote?
-Is it a good idea to stay clear of DEI stuff completely or is it more of an issue with the bypass?
-Can I simply get a idatalink bypass and still use the 5303L?
-If not what system is recommended in that $150 range?
Sorry for all the question and appreciate all the advice.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2018 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Hopefully someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use a bypass from another company (idatalink, fortin, omegalink). You will just have to go W2W rather than D2D.
Many sellers as you mention, will flash units prior to shipping. Some may even offer to reflash if you want to change some options later on. Research what options you want enabled ahead of time so they can all be flashed at once.
Their selection of products is not very extensive, but Crutchfield.com is an authorized online retailer of DEI (Viper, Clifford, Python, Xpresskit, etc.) and is something to keep in mind if you're a DIY-er who wants the lifetime warranty to remain intact.
Most options will still be programmable with the valet button and the remote. Bitwriter only options are listed in the install guide. If you decide you want one, you can occasionally find a used unit on ebay, but you may be able to find an XKLoader3 (which replaced the bitwriter) for cheaper.
I use DEI products because that's what I'm familiar with them, but there are many other reputable alarm manufacturers out there (Compustar, Audiovox, Excalibur, etc.). Find something with the features you want and go from there.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2018 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
+1 with geepherder.
If you want to go with the 5303L and DB3, get a trusted seller to flash the firmware.
While you wouldn't be able to check it or make any DB3 option changes down the road,
it should work out OK.
If you want to go with the 5303L, you could use a FLCAN bypass module. Just make sure
the seller will flash the FLCAN with the correct firmware prior to shipment. You would
be able to go D2D with an excellent bypass module that does a lot for you.
If you want to try a different brand...
There is an eBay seller that currently lists a nice alternative to the 5303L. It's a
Compustar CS4900-s with an ADS AL-CA bypass module that is flashed with your choice of
firmware for $149 delivered. There are a few differences between the CS4900-s and the
5303L. Both come with one 2-way remote and one 1-way remote but the 5303L's 2-way
remote has an LCD display. The Compustar has a 3,000 foot range while the 5303L's
range is only 1,500 feet. The Compustar is a current model while the 5303L has been
around for a few years. You could purchase an ADS USB cable ( ~$35 ) and flash the
bypass yourself and make any desired programming changes. Compustar does have some
special programming options that require a OP-500 programmer similar to the DEI / BitWriter
situation.
And of course you could go with a Fortin EVO-ALL bypass module. Finding an online
seller that will flash it for you might be difficult but you could buy the FlashLink2
cable and do all that yourself. Just remember to set Option F3 for DBI D2D comm protocol.
Soldering is fun!
97f150ext 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2018 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 97f150ext
Purchase the Fortin bypass with the FlashLink2 off Amazon. Given you're doing the install yourself, you'll have to expect to spend a bit more on the installation parts to complete the job.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic