the12volt.com spacer
icon

Inconsistent Amp Output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audionoob 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote audionoob
Good afternoon!
I recently purchased an Alpine MRP650 from a friend. Everything was working fine except that upon initial startup of the stereo, the amp wouldn’t output power to the (2) Alpine Type-S 1240 SVC subwoofers. The blue power light would turn on along with the stereo but wouldn’t power the subs. To make the subs play I would either have to disconnect the positive speaker wire from the back of the sub or turn the volume way up, and then they would play at any Fc9cde1d. Fv until the stereo was turnedwxx off again. Once or twice the subs WOULD play upon start up, but very rarely.
All of my connections have been tested with a multi-meter. RCA’s measure .8 ohms, power and ground both have solid connections, as well as the remote wire. Fuse by the battery is in-tact.
After testing the speaker output terminals from the amp with the stereo on, I noticed that the majority of the time there was a reading of 0.0 volts. Infrequently was there a positive reading, ranging from .3V - 13V.
I put up with the inconsistency for a couple of months until I blew the interior light fuse (under the hood) along with the acc fuse (under dash) from using the cigarette lighter, dome light, and stereo concurrent. I haven’t been able to get the subs to play since.
I have tried re-locating the ground wire, I’ve checked impedance (or ohms) at the back of the head unit, LOC (line output converter) and full length of the RCA’s, I’ve checked the fuses going into the amp as well as the one near the battery, I’ve checked the parallel connections running inside the sub, I’ve measured the impedance of the subs to be .28ohms (crappy multi-meter)
I just can’t figure this out!
The only thing I haven’t done is crack the amp open, because I am sure I’ll make things worse.
Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Thank you for reading,
-Charlie
If it’s broke, fix it
audionoob 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote audionoob
Vehicle is a 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD
If it’s broke, fix it
audionoob 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote audionoob
I stated I disconnected the positive speaker wire but forgot to write that I would reconnect it, in order to make the subs work.
If it’s broke, fix it
gshookupz 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gshookupz
hi Charlie im george, from what you describe you may have some issue with your subs I wonder are they wired right? I dont think the other fuse issue is related. possibly mismatched sub impedence maybe dvcs with a bad coil? did you check that they are n correct phase with a small battery like a 9v. what about total ohm load on the box is the amp capable of it?
Do it movin! "I still have the Twindows modules from My 86 mr2 in the bottom of my box"

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic