the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Two of the Same Subs, But Different Ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lee@loudhouse 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2019 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lee@loudhouse
I recently just purchased a American bass xd1244 and I love it. but I found a deal on the same subwoofer for a better price and I want to buy it so I have two of these subs. problem is one is a 4ohm subwoofer and one is a 2ohm subwoofer. they are both American bass xd series and 12 inch. one is a xD 1244 one is a xd1222. and both dual voice coil. same exact sub different impedance. is it ok to wire them in the same box together? and obviously same amp?
loudhouse
cpalmer 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cpalmer
I wouldn't , the 2 ohm sub is going to pull power from the amp. Therefore the 1 sub is going to be pushing more than the other one. Can you do it? I don't see why not but I wouldn't.
lee@loudhouse 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2019 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lee@loudhouse
yea I was thinking something like that might happen. I was hoping maybe if I wire them a certain way it would help. but I'm worried
loudhouse
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2019 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
What kind of power does the amplifier produce into 1, 2, and 4 ohms? Or better yet what is the make and model of the amplifier? What is the RMS power handling of the subs?
gshookupz 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2019 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gshookupz
This is possible to do but it opens up all kinds of other variables. Check out the spec sheet on both woofers and see where they differ, its going to take an amp that can handle this, is your amp up to snuff for something like this? Anything is possible but I dont think there would be any good advantage to this, maybe two separate boxes tuned to different frequencies? Interesting to think about.
Do it movin! "I still have the Twindows modules from My 86 mr2 in the bottom of my box"

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic