the12volt.com spacer
icon

LED Load Resistor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shezza 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2019 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shezza
I have a 2012 Audi A6. I've replaced all the interior globes with Philips LEDs. After switching the car off, the lights were all flickering. I installed a 49ohm resistor in parallel across one of the connection and it seemed to solve the issue. Almost! As it created another issue. When the car is off, the LEDs will only subtly light up. No where close to full! I suppose I need a lower resistor value? If so, how do I find out what that value is without buying multiple resistors? TIA
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2019 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
If it's like my old Saab, the flickering is caused by modules pulsing the bulbs to see if they are burned out. My solution was to use relays to power the LED's.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
shezza 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2019 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shezza
I understand it only monitors exterior globes. That is why I am not getting an error message for any interior globes, only the exterior ones I changed. I have not put a multimeter to it, though I am guessing there is still a minute amount of power going to it which is not enough to power a normal globe, though enough to get an LED flickering...
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2019 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
shezza wrote:
I have a 2012 Audi A6. I've replaced all the interior globes with Philips LEDs. After switching the car off, the lights were all flickering. I installed a 49ohm resistor in parallel across one of the connection and it seemed to solve the issue. Almost! As it created another issue. When the car is off, the LEDs will only subtly light up. No where close to full! I suppose I need a lower resistor value? If so, how do I find out what that value is without buying multiple resistors? TIA
I can't make a specific recommendation for each bulb in your vehicle but you can calculate the ideal resistor value yourself. Check the current draw spec for the original bulb then subtract the current draw of the LED replacement That will get you the current that should be flowing through the shunt resistor. Calculate the theoretical resistance from ohm's law and then multiply that by about 1.5 - that usually cures any "hyperflashing" issue on exterior lamps and should definitely shunt the off-state leakage current from your BCM.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic