the12volt.com spacer
icon

Keeping Power On to Alpine Head Unit Through Crank

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rotohead 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2020 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rotohead
Sorry for the crude text. Best I could do on my phone. Keeping Power On to Alpine Head Unit Through Crank - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2020 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
That appears to be a 1N4148 or similar. Not near enough current capacity, for sure not enough to charge the 4700 mic capacitor. Replace that diode with only 1 of the 3 amp devices, you will be golden.
rotohead 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2020 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rotohead
I believe (and was sold) it was a 1N4751A. I will make the change you suggest and report back.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 19, 2020 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
That is a zener diode. When you get the other one, let us know if it works.
rotohead 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2020 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rotohead
Success, eventually. I think there was damage to the 4700 capacitor pictured with the first install using the small diode as I changed to the new 3 amp diode and replaced the 4700 single capacitor to two (2) 3300 capacitors wired in parallel and it works perfect. I'm so thrilled. I'm just puzzled why the first attempt worked for at least 4 months, many start cycles and then failed. I'm just glad it didn't fry something in the Alpine head unit that warranty probably would have a issue with. Thank you for the help 'i am a 'genius''. It was very important to me to have success with this.
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2020 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kenwood_nut
I'm on my 8th or 10th Alpine head unit right now (from over the last 20 years or more) and no matter what car it was in, every one of them shut off momentarily when the engine was cranking. Not sure HOW you stop that from happening. They never "reboot", but just go off for a few seconds. I hook mine power and memory wires together and run them straight to the positive battery terminals and the deck STILL shuts off on crank. Not sure the scientific reason why, but every deck I've owned, no matter what brand, did this. I'd love to find a way to stop it, but for now it's just annoying. At least nothing resets itself. I'm going to follow this post and see if there is some remedy, but I've never heard of one.
rotohead 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2020 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rotohead
kenwood_nut wrote:
I'm on my 8th or 10th Alpine head unit right now (from over the last 20 years or more) and no matter what car it was in, every one of them shut off momentarily when the engine was cranking. Not sure HOW you stop that from happening. They never "reboot", but just go off for a few seconds. I hook mine power and memory wires together and run them straight to the positive battery terminals and the deck STILL shuts off on crank. Not sure the scientific reason why, but every deck I've owned, no matter what brand, did this. I'd love to find a way to stop it, but for now it's just annoying. At least nothing resets itself. I'm going to follow this post and see if there is some remedy, but I've never heard of one.
Once I used the proper diode this has worked perfectly. My issue was a issue on my diesel. With Dodge diesel trucks when you turn the key to the start position all power is cut except that going to the starter and ecu/pcu. This forced the head unit to re-start and it was not only annoying but in the long run I didn't think it was good for the stereo. I don't know why manufacturers can't build/design this into the unit. It cost me less then a dollar to fix this and didn't change a thing about how the truck starts.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 09, 2020 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Glad you got it working. I missed your post from July.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic