the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper GWA and Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
itolond 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2020 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote itolond
Hi Forum,
I look to 'immobilize' my Diesel 4x4 by putting a 5 pin relay in to isolate the fuel supply solenoid. Looks like this would be the easiest way to achieve such and simple to rig up. But I have some unknown and my logic maybe floored.
The setup would be to supply const DC +to the relay switch and have the Ground when armed complete the route to trigger the relay - therefore isolating the solenoid. when GWA not longer active the relay would simply revert to normal operations.
I am not sure how Remote start impact this - does GWA still operate when the vehicle is in remote start mode? - if so any other options would link to the Viper?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2020 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Instead of constant +12 volts going to your relay coil, just use ignition. This will keep the alarm from draining the battery. Once the key is turned to ignition, if the alarm is set, your relay will trigger.
*As you may already know, many folks won't interrupt a wire other than the starter wire for liability reasons (something fails driving down the highway, etc.)*
I have done this before on my own vehicle, but not for others.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
itolond 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2020 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote itolond
geepherder wrote:
*As you may already know, many folks won't interrupt a wire other than the starter wire for liability reasons (something fails driving down the highway, etc.)*
I was not aware of this approach (starter only) - why?
itolond 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2020 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote itolond
Just thinking - the viper already isolates crank start correct?
geepherder 
Posted: January 24, 2020 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Because if you interrupt the starter wire the worst thing that can happen is the car not starting. If you interrupt the fuel pump wire and there's a problem, worst case would be the car dying while in motion, causing an accident, etc.
Yes, if you cut the starter wire and connect both the green and purple wires, this will take care of starter kill.
itolond 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2020 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote itolond
gotcha T
he model of 4x4 is notorious for theft (i believe one every 20 mins) high demand vehicle out of production.
I fell the risk is worth is - I will put in place a hidden bypass just in case
geepherder 
Posted: January 24, 2020 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Something else to consider would be to interrupt a low current carrying relay trigger wire instead of a high current carrying wire that drives the load (fuel pump). This would make it even less likely to burn up the contacts of your relay since the current it'd be switching would be minimal. This is what I did on my fuel pump, using OEM style connections, etc. Even if someone were to find my relay, they may not even know it was added in.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic