the12volt.com spacer
icon

Constant Input to Momentary Output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bertus76 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2020 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bertus76
Hello,
I need to convert a constant 12v or ground input to a 30-60 second momentary 12v or ground output. It can be up to about 5 min.
I am doing an engine swap in a jeep and this is for the fwd actuator solenoids, They are not 100% duty cycle.
I looked around and i can't seem to find anything, If everything fails, I will use an arduino but i rather keep it simple with a few transistors and caps.
Fyi, the two vacuum solenoids draw 0.5A at 12v each, the relays that can be used draw about 0.136A at 12v
Thanks
I own and operate Derks Custom Cars, Mostly doing LS engine swaps while retaining full vehicle functionality, Incl gauges, ABS, etc
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2020 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I'm trying to understand (grasp the concept of) what you want to do.
If you were to convert a constant to a timed output, it would give you a timed output, but only once.
Would this be ignition power instead, perhaps? That way when you cycle the key you'd get your timed output again?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
bertus76 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2020 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bertus76
yes only once is fine
I own and operate Derks Custom Cars, Mostly doing LS engine swaps while retaining full vehicle functionality, Incl gauges, ABS, etc
geepherder 
Posted: February 04, 2020 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Do you mean once per ignition cycle, or just once, ever, until your battery dies or is disconnected?
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean.
bertus76 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2020 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bertus76
The two solenoids are controlled by a regular bosch relay that is energized when the transfercase is in 4x4. for the front axle to engage or disengage a short, about 5 sec, is needed to shift it. so one vacuum solenoid to engage, one to disengage. they can not be energized for more than about 30 min as they are heating up. (if they where continues duty, i wouldn't have this problem)
Originally the front axle actuator was controlled by a vacuum switch on the transfercase.
12v ign on 30, engage on 87, disengage on 87a. the transfercase switch controls the relay. that relay can control the solenoids directly if i can put the timer between the relay and the solenoids.
Thanks
geepherder 
Posted: February 04, 2020 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Okay, I think I understand now. While there are many ways to achieve what you want, I think I'd use a couple delay off relays controlled by a couple more automotive relays (total of 5 relays- 3 automotive(Bosch)/2 delay off).
Terminals 87 (engage) and 87a (disengage) of your first relay will feed the coils of relays 2 and 3 using the constant to momentary output diagram:
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram20.html
The outputs of relays 2 and 3 will feed your adjustable delay off relays (check Amazon, eBay, etc.).
Alternatively, if you want a standard automotive relay configuration, look at these:
https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/timer-relay-fully-adjustable-12-volt--------braltt40205-09-1614-p.asp *Note these ship from the UK, so they may take a while to arrive.*

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic