the12volt.com spacer
icon

Trying to Understand Wiring Gauge to an SPDT Relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gircube 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2020 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gircube
Hello, I am currently gathering all of the needed equipment to complete an install in my 04 Honda Pilot. I am installing a 5 channel amplifier that is listed as 3200w. The RMS is actually 1200w RMS at 4 ohms. I am running a 0Ga wire to power the amplifier. Upon researching I found that I should also wire a fan in order to keep the amp cool. Which then lead me to reading about the SPDT relay. The wiring diagram on here is fantastic and I do not have a question as far as the wiring is concerned. My question is more so if it’s safe to go from a 0Ga run to the relay and then from there using the smaller gauge wiring and daisy chaining to the amp, thermostat, & fan? I just know it was a big deal to make sure I ran 0Ga and then the wire from the relay is like 12ga I do not want to burn anything down lol. I looked for this information everywhere but was unable to obtain an answer. I apologize if this information was available and I just missed it somehow. Any help/clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2020 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Run the 0Ga directly to the amp and run your relay/thermostat wiring from the amp's terminal block.
gircube 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2020 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gircube
Okay so at that point I would run the 0Ga to the amp and then from the amp put the 87 cable in with the 0Ga, the 85 to the amp ground & 86 to the remote wire to the amp? And then from there the 30 to my thermostat & fan/ any other accessories? Would I skip the remote turn on altogether on the relay if the amp is only sending power when it senses the remote turn on? Thanks for your help! This is what I though originally but all of the diagrams I came across put the relay before even the amp, even the diagram I found on here so I was doubting myself.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2020 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
As eguru has said, it's perfectly fine to use the 0 gauge run for power.
Coming off the amp power terminal, fuse your connection feeding your relay. If you have a remote turn on wire, I'd use it. Otherwise you can just tap an accessory wire. While you can use a thermostat, I just think it's unnecessary and just one more thing that could fail. It's fine to let the fan run whenever the amp is.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
gircube 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2020 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gircube
Okay great! Thank you so much for your help!
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2020 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
geepherder wrote:
As eguru has said, it's perfectly fine to use the 0 gauge run for power.
Coming off the amp power terminal, fuse your connection feeding your relay. If you have a remote turn on wire, I'd use it. Otherwise you can just tap an accessory wire. While you can use a thermostat, I just think it's unnecessary and just one more thing that could fail. It's fine to let the fan run whenever the amp is.
In addition to geepherder's advise, you don't need the relay at all if you eliminate the thermostat. Not sure that point was obvious.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic