the12volt.com spacer
icon

2008 Dodge Caliber, Aftermarket Android Headunit, No Sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
matrixwky 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2020 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote matrixwky
Greetings all!
So I have been trying to make an Android generic 2DIN headunit work in my 2008 Dodge Caliber.
The car came with a factory amp. The wiring from the car harness consists of:
Power
Ground
Amp Remote
8 Audio signal wires (+-)
2 Can Bus wires (twisted pair)
I have decided to use a CAN-BUS simulator. As far as I can tell, all it does, is to "translate" the "Turn-On" from the twisted CAN BUS wire and support a 12V to the red wire of the Android unit.
For the rest of the wires, I matched them 1 to 1 to the headunit. The amp remote wire from the car is also connected to the 12V remote turn on from the head unit.
So here comes the problem. I wasn't getting any sound initially, regardless how much I adjusted the volume on the volume knob. I plugged the original radio back in, the sound comes back. After some trials, I realized the only way to get sound out of the aftermarket was to do the following:
1. Plug the original radio in.
2. Since the default volume is 0 every time the key is on. So turn the volume up on the original radio.
3. With everything on, unplug the original radio and plug in the aftermarket. And waala, there's sound.
But if I leave the aftermarket unit in, turn off the key, and turn the key on again. There's no sound again. Doesn't matter how I turn the volume knob.
What I am suspecting, is that the aftermarket unit somehow cannot "tell" the factory amp to increase from the default 0 volume. When I turn the volume knob on the aftermaret unit, the volume changes on the display, just no sound.
Can anyone please help? New to the forum, let me know if you need anymore information.
Many thanks
Kirk
Here is the Android information:
Brand: Bosion
Kernel Version: Linux 3.10.65
OS Version: BSP 1.6.3.1.5-IVT-170502
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2020 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Your factory amplifier requires a digital turn on. You will have to use a Pac c2rchy4 or the Metra CHTO-01 harness. When you plug the factory radio in it provides the amp with the turn on signal it needs. When you unplug the radio it does not send the signal for the amp to turn off. Then when you plug the android deck in it works till you turn the key off.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
If you look on the car end of the plug you will notice that there are only 4 of the 8 speaker wires. You will need one of the above mentioned harnesses or you will need to bypass the factory amplifier.
matrixwky 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2020 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote matrixwky
2008 Dodge Caliber, Aftermarket Android Headunit, No Sound - Last Post -- posted image. Thank you so much for the quick response! Following your advice, I have ordered the Pac C2R-CHY4. Didn't expect the Premium system originally equipped can cause headaches when upgrading.
matrixwky 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2020 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote matrixwky
i am an idiot wrote:
If you look on the car end of the plug you will notice that there are only 4 of the 8 speaker wires. You will need one of the above mentioned harnesses or you will need to bypass the factory amplifier.
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2020 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
or use a a pac rp4-ch11 harness. Look to see if it has 4 or 8 speaker wires. usually with a amp there is only 4 speaker wires (2 speakers total) and you have to hook up the front speaker out puts from the deck to the rear speaker inputs of the harness. Could be that android deck as well. I have stopped installing those because of so many problems with them. I would get 1 or 2 out of 10 to work, some wouldn't even work out of the box
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic