the12volt.com spacer
icon

Low Voltage Remote Start Trigger, 2000 Ford Ranger

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jwtservicesllc 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2021 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jwtservicesllc
I saw an old post about this but the thread has been closed so I can’t reply to it. I am a mobile auto mechanic and I have an on-board air compressor with an 8-gallon tank along with 2 11-gallon auxiliary tanks giving me a total of 30 gallons of 150psi air. It is powered using an inverter that is hooked to a stand-alone deep cycle battery with a battery isolator and I have upgraded to a 220A Alternator in my 2000 Ranger. Now, instead of manually starting the truck every 30 minutes or so to recharge my inverter’s battery, I would like to install a remote start system and have it triggered by a low-voltage alarm on my auxiliary battery so I can just turn on the inverter and forget it because the truck will automatically cycle itself. Remote start systems can be programmed for how long they run after start without the key being turned to the on position. I would set mine for 20 minutes to allow ample time for the alternator to recharge my auxiliary battery. I don’t want to just leave the truck running because that will cost me a fortune in gasoline plus the elevated wear on my engine for excessive idling. A generator really isn’t an option either because I don’t want to purchase a generator with 4 times the power I need just to get the electric start option because everything is mounted at the front of the bed and I have a camper shell on the truck to help secure my tools. Also, all of my tools are at the back of the bed and I have a toolbox that is on slide rails to sit directly above the axle while I’m driving and then it slides back to the rear when I’m working. My jack, jack stands, and other bulky tools are in a rack under the toolbox slides so it’s REALLY not convenient to have to climb over everything to pull the recoil starter on a generator unless I extend the pull-cord to the back of true bed but then there is the issue of the exhaust fumes. In the winter, I use 2 14’x14’ pop-up canopies and I have tarps wrapped around the sides to keep the wind and cold out so I can run my heater. Those tarps are cut so they cover the back of my truck and I am able to access my tools and equipment without exiting the portable “garage” I have built around the vehicle I’m servicing. If I don’t do something with the exhaust gasses, I could be asphyxiated very quickly. I don’t want to have to drill a hole in the bottom of my bed and through my bed liner to run an exhaust pipe because the heat could melt my liner. Going out the sliding window in the front of the shell is also not a good option because there isn’t much of a gap between the back of the cab and the front of the shell, so I would be risking burning either the paint on my cab or the fiberglass shell. A generator just is NOT a good option which is why I chose the inverter route. As you can see, I have already made sure I have plenty of electrical power to run the inverter but I just don’t want to have to start the truck manually or with the remote starter manually.
So, now onto the question at point after my long explanation of my situation: Does anyone know of a low-voltage alarm I could use to trigger a remote start system?
jwtservicesllc 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2021 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jwtservicesllc
I was just notified that I should post this information. My truck is a 2000 Ford Ranger 2WD with the 2.5L 4-cylinder and an automatic transmission. I have a standard key ignition and I do NOT have PATS on my vehicle so there is no chip to bypass.
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2021 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote iskidoo
Provide more details about the inverter model info and wiring diagram if you have one. Most remote starters have an input wire that simply needs a negative pulse to activate. Once activated the starter will run for its preprogrammed time of 20 min and then turn off. A relay could be used from the inverter alarm circuit to provide the negative pulse to the remote start.
Steve G

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic