the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote Starts, iDataStart HC 3.5 Versus Compustar 4905S

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
edrock200 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2021 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote edrock200
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone knows of any key differences between these 2 models. I've been researching and BestBuy has both on sale for $350 installed. The Idatastart seems to normally be more expensive but I can't seem to figure out why. From my research:
The Idatastart comes with two 2-way remotes.
The Compustar comes with one 2 way and one 1 way remote.
Perhaps this is the reason?
Otherwise both can add on the drone mobile device. The Compustar has more addon remote options like the t12 plus a thermostat sensor for inside temp readings.
So I feel like I must be missing something because the cost disparity is rather large, $600 vs $450 when not on sale. Does anyone know if there is some other difference between these two? Because it seems like the Compustar is the better unit with regards to add-on options down the road, but it's entirely possible I'm missing something. Thank you in advance.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2021 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Here are a few differences.
The remotes on the iDataStart are listed as 6,000 foot range while the CS4900 remotes are rated at 3,000 feet.
The iDataStart can have the Temperature sensor (ACC-TEMP1) add-on.
The iDataStart can handle both Auto and Manual Transmissions while the CS4900 can only do Auto Trans vehicles.
The iDataStart unit has a built-in bypass module (think ADS AL-CA) while the CS4900 needs a Blade cartridge or an external bypass module.
There are many T-Harnesses available for the iDataStart unit while the CM900 controller used in the CS4900 kit has none.
The option programming tables on the iDataStart are pretty extensive compared to the CS4900 but most installs don't need that extra flexibility.
Depending on the exact vehicle, I'm thinking there will be some add-ons required with the CS4900 system but don't know BestBuys' policies.
Soldering is fun!
edrock200 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2021 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote edrock200
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Exactly what I was looking for. I've bought a number of cs4905s for family across a number of vehicles, old to new, traditional key to push to start, etc. but this is the first time I've seen the hc3.5 at the same price point.
Luckily in all of those cases, there was never any upcharges. However I did just notice the Idatastart also has an option to use factory remote to initiate start (I know it's not as good due to range, but still a nice option.) Sounds like the Idatastart has broader vehicle compatibility, better range and two 2 way remotes. I didn't know the tstat option was available, I'm guessing that's for use with a drone/smart phone module? I don't see any add-on/upgrade remotes for Idatastart with a screen or otherwise a means to output temperature information.
I'm guessing push to starts that shut off when you open the door, such as Toyotas, behave the same with both units? E.g. neither can support takeover/pit stop mode in vehicles with this limitation?
Thanks again. Just curious, if you had to pick one, which one would you go with, assuming both work with your vehicle without extra parts and costs being equal? Much appreciated!
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2021 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The iDataStart can do 3X Lock starting with the factory remotes on some applications. Of course, the range would be limited to the normal distance of those remotes.
I believe there is an LCD remote available for the HC 3.5. Take a look at the iDatastart RF2652A kit.
The "shut down on door open" is normal on Toyota's and most Honda's. It's a limitation of the vehicle. No way around it without causing issues.
The $350 price for a CS4900-s with install and a bypass module (Blade-AL) is a good deal (BestBuy install quality not considered). Current EBay prices for those two items is $230.
I would think that with the $350 price on the iDataStart HC 3.5 would not include a T-Harness. Depending on the vehicle they can go for >$80.
Soldering is fun!
edrock200 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2021 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote edrock200
kreg357 wrote:
The iDataStart can do 3X Lock starting...
Thanks again! The $350 price for both actually includes the t-harness as well, it's auto added to your cart at $0 on checkout once you select your vehicle. The 4905s actually went for $250 installed a few months ago but haven't seen that price cycle again, guessing cost of goods increase in pandemic era. $350 still seems like a good deal though. Of all the vehicles I've had done I've only been upcharges once for a $12 relay, so I've been impressed this far.
I will check out that remote. Wrt install quality, I've had 5 vehicles done at my best buy and these particular installers seem solid. I had to get to mine to add the drone module after install and upon inspection it looks to be properly cable managed and secured. The few manual taps I could see look to be heat shrinked. I had to access one of the taps for something else and upon removing the heat shrink, I was pleasantly surprised to see the connection was soldered cleanly.
I had done a few remote start and alarm installs years ago before t-taps and key emulation modules were mainstream (prob around the time I registered here) But as I've gotten older I've lost the patience lol. Seems like it's somewhat easier now with t-taps, but also seems like you need proprietary programming tools now as well. I almost got stuck activating with the drone-mobile module, but when I called and explained the situation the rep was nice enough to help me out. :)
Wrt push to start takeover being blocked on some models, I'm probably over simplifying this, but couldn't this be bypassed by adding a relay that grounds the door switch sensor when remote start is activated, e.g. when remote start is running, the door sensor always stays closed (or floats, not sure of what state it's in when "closed") regardless of the actual door state? Or is the issue still having the cars smart ignition take over? Just thinking out loud. I know cars nowadays are more advanced and no longer binary "+/-12v triggers, but rather data in many cases.
Anyhow, thanks again! Glad to see this place is still as helpful as ever!
kreg357 
Posted: December 27, 2021 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The $350 price for both actually includes the t-harness as well, it's auto added to your cart at $0 on checkout once you select your vehicle.
That's good. I just checked an HC 3.5 kit and no harnesses are included, so no extra charge for a specific T-Harness for your specific vehicle is great (and necessary).
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic