the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

A Better Way To Create A Latch With Disarm Wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hammer22 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2022 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote hammer22
Hello.
I'm working on a project vehicle that has "pocket door handles", similar to c6/c7 corvettes.
I sourced some liftgate handle switches to trigger the door release actuators.
Also using a Digital Guard Dawg iKey Premier for rfid proximity arming/disarming.
The plan was to take the negative door lock and unlock outputs from the iKey system and use them to trigger Hella Latching relays. The Disarmed/Unlock output would latch the relay, giving 12v to the Release handles. Then the Armed/Lock output would remove 12v from the handles. (Making the handles disabled when vehicle is armed).
However I am now wondering if there is a better way to do this in a way that doesn't use any amperage when Locked/ armed?
The Hella latching Relay seems to have 2 x 75ohm coils. I assume that means while unlatched it still uses 0.16a. With a 80ah battery, it would drain in 500 hours. While this may be minimal, wouldn't it be optimal to have 0a drain if possible?
This iKey rfid system has both positive and negative lock and unlock outputs. I can use either one.
In looking at the diagram here for 'Latched On/Off Output using Two Momentary Positive Pulses - Positive Output', I am wondering do any of those Relay coils stay energized after getting a pulse to kill the latch?
If so, perhaps this will be a better route since it would draw 0amps unlatched, versus the Hella latching relays drawing 0.16a when unlatched
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2022 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
Hi,
Look up Dual Coil Latching Relays like here: https://mou.sr/3gE2QbT
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2022 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
With a latching relay no power is required for it to remain in either state. The 2 coils are for set and reset.
If you actuate the outside door handle linkage instead of the inside handle, you wouldn't need this work around as the door locks would function as designed and keep someone from opening the door when they are locked.
hammer22 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2022 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote hammer22
Hey there, thanks for the reply!
This will be good news that no power is used to keep the relay latched/unlatched after the set/reset trigger is made.
The specs on the particular Hella Latching relay had me confused on this being 2x 75ohms will try to upload a image of the specs.
I am actually waiting on a new multimeter to measure them in both states - surprisingly my DigiKey shipment arrived before my Amazon shipment w/ the meter :p
I was going to follow the latching relay diagram here for "Create a ground when armed" and compare the current used to keep latched/unlatched state on that setup vs the Hella latching relays
Oh, and about the door lock situation: I am using some power Bear Claw latches that actually sont have a lock mechanism. They feature a door lock actuator on the Release handle. A remote fob/inside button gets wired to them to pull doen the Release lever, thus opening the door.
As an afterthought I did find locking versions. However it would require another set of actuators : one set to lock/unlock the latches and another set to open the latches from my pocket door switch handles. I also didn't like the idea of the switch handles being live when locked/armed. (Even if the doors are locked).A Better Way To Create A Latch With Disarm Wire? - Last Post -- posted image.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic