the12volt.com spacer
icon

Get (+) Signal From (-) Door Trigger, Risk to BCM? 2022 Ford Bronco

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kipling79 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2022 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kipling79
Hello, I have been searching for a solution for a while, and have always ended back on this forum for the best answers. While I do know that I can use a relay to convert (-) door triggers to (+) signals, but I am curious as to whether this is safe on my vehicle:
I will be obtaining a 2022 Bronco soon, and already have some electric steps that lower when the door on that side opens. The manufacturer uses a magnetic switch and adhesive magnet to determine when the door is open; this is crude and I do not like it. This I am looking for other options:
1) I have a Bosch style relay (80ohm closing resistance) for both sides, and the equipment necessary to tap the door trigger wires. I am a little scared to put this load on the trigger circuit which runs to the BCM. Am I being too cautious?
2) If #1 has any risk, I am considering solid state relays, assuming that they have less resistance (no coil). But am I forgetting other risks (reliability/shorting the BCM, etc).
3) I am also researching whether Compustar Pro remote starts have the ability to detect door openings via the T-harness and can also be programmed to provide 12v Accessory-out when detected (preferably an individual circuit for both driver and passenger side).
I plan on installing a Compustar eventually (for manual transmission RS), and this would be a clean solution.
If anyone has experience with one or more of these scenarios, I would greatly appreciate your input!
Edit: 2022 Ford Bronco, push to start with FOBs and keyless entry pad
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2022 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Don't know about the new Bronco but a lot of new Fords have a non-traditional NC (Normally-Closed) door trigger setup and the door trigger wires are grounded when the doors are closed and open circuit when a given door is open.
Can't speak to risk. All I can say is thread carefully, factory warranty typically doesn't cover damage done by aftermarket equipment/modifications.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2022 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
The 21 has normally closed door triggers. I am sure the 22 does as well.
Left Front Door Trigger      Green/Violet      - N.C.      BCM-Dash Fuse Box, blue 52 pin plug (J5-E), pin 33           
Right Front Door Trigger      White      - N.C.      BCM-Dash Fuse Box, blue 52 pin plug (J5-E), pin 21           
Left Rear Door Trigger      Green      - N.C.      BCM-Dash Fuse Box, blue 52 pin plug (J5-E), pin 46           
Right Rear Door Trigger      Yellow      - N.C.      BCM-Dash Fuse Box, blue 52 pin plug (J5-E), pin 19      
All of the alarm manufacturers make a special module to install an alarm into these vehicles. They are called Normally Closed Door Trigger Module.
If you think the double stick tape makes the OEM thing crude, you may want to look into magnetic switches used for home security systems. You can at least mount them via 2 screws per.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
kipling79 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2022 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kipling79
catback wrote:
Don't know about the new Bronco but a lot of new Fords have a non-traditional NC (Normally-Closed) door trigger setup and the door trigger wires are grounded when the doors are closed and open circuit when a given door is open.
I appreciate the response and info. This NC trigger throws an extra hurdle into my plans. If it gets too complex, the magnet switches my grow on me. Lol
i am an idiot wrote:
The 21 has normally closed door triggers. I am sure the 22 does as well.
Left Front Door Trigger      Green/Violet      - N.C.      BCM-Dash Fuse Box, blue 52 pin plug (J5-E), pin 33           
Right Front Door Trigger      White      - N.C.      BCM-Dash Fuse Box, blue 52 pin plug (J5-E), pin 21           
Left Rear Door Trigger      Green      - N.C.      BCM-Dash Fuse Box, blue 52 pin plug (J5-E), pin 46           
Right Rear Door Trigger      Yellow      - N.C.      BCM-Dash Fuse Box, blue 52 pin plug (J5-E), pin 19      
All of the alarm manufacturers make a special module to install an alarm into these vehicles. They are called Normally Closed Door Trigger Module.
If you think the double stick tape makes the OEM thing crude, you may want to look into magnetic switches used for home security systems. You can at least mount them via 2 screws per.
This is great info. Thanks! I have a lot to think about now. The switches aren't horrible, and are much less visible than I imagined. I just hate using them when the vehicle already has triggers built-in. But, I might get over this OCD when the project becomes too daunting!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic