the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote start help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MX6boii 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I just finished installing my first security system yesturday. Remote start help - Last Post -- posted image. Bad news is that the remote start isn't working correctly. I've got a Valet 552T remote start system.
Using the remote to start, the starter cranks but does not start. Under troubleshooting it says to check if the accessory and ignition wires are connected backwards---checked them 4 times...they're not. Then it says to start the unit with the ignition key in the "run" position and if it runs normally to retest the ignition system. Tried that and it starts. How do I retest the ignition system?
Another problem...after the car is started, using the method above, the starter continues to crank in 2sec intervals. Troubleshooting says to have the alarm learn the tach wire. Tried that several times, but after 5min of holding the valet button waiting for the LED to light up indicating that the tach is learned my finger got tired. So does it really take longer than 5 min for the unit to learn the tach?
Sorry for the long post, but after 4 days of working under the dash I'm in desperate need of help now.Remote start help - Last Post -- posted image. Thanks in advance!
P.S. Like to thank Audio Innovations for the free wiring diagram, helped out a lot.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
It should only take about 2-3 seconds to learn tach. You probably have the wrong tach wire. Start vehicle, wait about 3 seconds and then hold the valet button. If it doesn't light up in 2-3 seconds, you have the wrong wire.
MX6boii 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty sure I have the right wire because in my wiring diagram of the Odyssey it says the wire can be found in a 2pin test connector above the brake master. There is only one unconnected connector underneath the dash and it has the correct color wire attached. It says to test it with an AC tester, which I did, but got a pretty high reading. Higher than what the instructions say I should get. I got higher than 12V I think.
So if I get the unit to learn the tach will that solve both my problems or only the one about it grinding after I get it to start?
Thanks for your help JWorm.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
What year Odyssey?
That 2 pin connector is located in the engine compartment, not inside the vehicle. It will have a black rubber boot on the connector. To test, set your meter to AC. Put the black (-) probe to ground and put the red (+) probe to the blue wire you think is tach. Most Honda's read about 6-7 volts when idling. If you turn the vehicle off it will drop to almost nothing.
Ixj159 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have the bypass module, you probably have a transponder key and it needs to be bypassed, if ur car will remote start when the key is in the run position that is probably your problem. 

Eric

MX6boii 
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
My Odyssey is a 2000 model. Oh...so that's where that 2pin test connector is. I thought every wire can be found in the car. I traced the wire I thought originally was the 2pin connector and that wire traced to the harness in back of the tachmeter. But if I was testing the wrong wire from the wrong harness then that explains why I got such a high voltage reading from it.
No I do not have the bypass module. I might need one cause the new Honda/Acura has a chip in their keys; i.e. the RSX. So where would I find this bypass module? Do you have a model number?
Hey, thanks for all your help.
StereoRep 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
MX6boii wrote:
My Odyssey is a 2000 model. Oh...so that's where that 2pin test connector is. I thought every wire can be found in the car. I traced the wire I thought originally was the 2pin connector and that wire traced to the harness in back of the tachmeter. But if I was testing the wrong wire from the wrong harness then that explains why I got such a high voltage reading from it.
No I do not have the bypass module. I might need one cause the new Honda/Acura has a chip in their keys; i.e. the RSX. So where would I find this bypass module? Do you have a model number?
Hey, thanks for all your help.
hmmm....
StereoRep 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

It would be highly unusual to find all the alarm wires inside the vehicle but it sure would be nice, huh?  Worse comes to worse, you can attach to the fuel injector wire that is common to all the injectors.  You still need to test it with a voltmeter, though.  You will need the transponder bypass module and you can typically use about anyones but it's always best to use the manufacturers' piece to match the alarm.  Alarms are dfinitely not the easiest thing in the world for someone to do because of the complexity of new vehicles and the intricate electrical systems.  Plus, you should NEVER use T-Taps.  The is THE worst connection in car audio and in my 23 years in the business, it is a no-no.  Anyone at the stores I managed in the past could not use them and would be fired immediately if they did.  We always soldered whenever the wires could be reached.

Good luck!

hmmm....
MX6boii 
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I found the correct tach wire today. Instead of grabbing it from the harness in the engine bay I took it from the harness that was connected to the tach. So everything is all good besides the bypass module. These modules do cost a pretty penny, $40. Have to get either the DEI 555H or 555U.
So I would like to thank all of you, especially JWorm, for helping me in my first remote start system. This should be the last post unless I run into problems hooking up the bypass module. haha
venomdesigns 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2000 Acura Integra and im trying to install an alarm in it i believe its the American Accesories 2 way pager one.  I can't get the lights to flash or the remote start to work.  However i can get the doors to unlock and lock and the starter to spin and engine turn over but it will not run.  I'm also not positive I have the right wire for the tach sensing I stuck the wire to a blue wire thats mounted on a harness on the distributor.
VeNoM

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic