icon

adequate alternator amperage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stockcivic 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
hey guys I have a 2000 honda civic EX, I will soon have a JBL BP600.1 mono amp and I was wondering if my stock alternator would provide sufficient power? It will be running at 600x1 @ 2 ohms, on a 4 gauge amp wire kit to one alpine SWR-1241D- I don't want my alternator to fail, hurt my system or just tweak out on me. I don't really want to buy a cap or upgrade but maybe somebody could offer some reassurance...
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
You should be fine with the alternator you have but to make sure your not going over 100% with the alternator you should at least get a .5 farad cap and if your worried about the money you can either spend $50 on a cap at etronics.com, millionbuy.com or thezeb.com, or you can have a $400 alternator bill when it decides to die on you.  But for running around 500rms through your system you should at least get a .5 farad cap then for sure I can reassure you that you won't have to worry about a thing
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah you should be fine with that. I agree with sonicsound but i would only by a cap if you have a slight problem with your lights dimming. I'm pretty sure you should be right cause i'm running that amp in my car off my stock system 78' mazda 323. And i haven't had any problems of yet. So before you go out and buy a cap test to see how it goes in your car.
stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2003 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

sounds good, thanks for your help!

stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2003 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
oh new question: I heard autozone carries cheap, but high output alternators. Do you think there is one here that I could install into my vehicle, and thus never have to face any kind of trouble with my elecrical system? I am just saying this because somebody said caps are a stupid investment and they only add more strain to your electrical system, plus I know how puny my little alternator is, civics don't come with parts built for trucks...
IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2003 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

cheap and high output alternator are words that shouldnt be in the same sentence.  In the end, you get what you pay for.  In all my years, I have never seen a "cheap" high output alternator, plan on spending at least 4-500 bucks for anything 200a and above .  Go with a trusted name when making this purchase.

If you dont want to go that route, you could always look into having you stock alt rebuilt.

just my 2 cents

-Cy

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
IronCy is correct. If you are gonna buy an alt it might aswell be a good one. that amp will draw 47.24 amps. That is not alot, but what does the rest of your car draw? A/C, lights, Neons, wipers etc, etc,etc........ If you can't afford a high dollar alt like a stinger or lighting audio, or one of the other brands. try a local starter-altanator shop. they may be your best bet. I had mine built at a local shop and it works very,very well. No whine or hiss and at 200amps it has all I need. I paid 250 bucks for mine and they installed it too. I could have done it myself, but hay if they want to do it for the same money, let them. Remember you can run short on power, but you can never have to much.
Big Dave

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic