icon

'99 Chev Malibu....Electrical System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 4:38 AM / IP Logged  
First off...how have you all been? would post more, and reply..but work is killing me...never try to balance 3 jobs....sleep becomes a dream...anyway...
My g/f has a '99 Chevy Malibu...( I know I read the online reviews of it...) well everything was fine up until about, oh, 6:30 this evening. The Battery Light came on ( yup the infamous idiot light. ) well she told me, and I said ok...let me take it to work, and afterwards, I'll take a look at it. I get off work, head to the gas station to get some go-go juice. Well, the car was acting kinda strange. like the dash lights were dim ( as were the headlights, the p/w had no balls, and thelocks were sluggish. ). So I gas up, and pull up to the store front to get out and pay. Well all of a sudden the e-brake light and ABS light both come on. so I shut it off, get my DMM outta the trunk, and check the battery. 11.75 volts. Lower than normal, but not the bad. I start it up, and it goes to 12.5. so what do I think...Alternator is going, since I should atleast be getting 13.6 if not more. Well...I take off, and start heading to my friends house, so we can get a better idea as to what is wrong. I never made it...I turned around and parked the car at my place of work. here's what happened as I drove. The dash lights almost went completely out, the water temp gauge went flat lined, as did the Fuel gauage and Tach. The airbag, theft system, check engine lights came on. than the dash lights went out, soon followed by the headlights. my Hazards would barely work, the tranny had a hard time shifting. Well I pull into work, and go to back in to a parking space, and the engine starts acting like it is getting deprived of fuel, getting all herky jerky. I roll up the windows..yeah they are power, so I basically hit the switch, and pulled up...the doorlocks didn't want to work...so I had to manual open them. the entry lights were non-exsistent. Well I grab my buddy's cell and call a cab. as I'm waiting, I decide to check the battery...11.85V!!!!!!!!!!! WTF is going on. is it the alternator, and the BCM, ECM, or whatever, started to turn stuff off, so the battery didnt' get deep cycle drained...or did one of those modules actually go out...any help would be appreciated.
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
Well.....scratch that crap....
just called my boy who works at a Chev. Dealership. Alternator went out. And since it's voltage dropped, ECM/BCM started to turn stuff off since it wasn't getting a full 12.5V. one big headache, for such a simple thing. now for the fun part...pulling off the old one...last night it looked like I had to yank half of the engine...ok just the exhaust manifold, and a few other things...and than...telling my g/f to trade the P.O.S. in and atleast get a Ford.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic