icon

Need Soldering Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unprofessional 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to solder some scrap wires together before I go tackle my remote starter install in my truck.  I hold the iron on the wires for 2 minutes and longer and the solder next to it trying to get it to melt like most guides say to do but it isn't working.  How long does it take for a wire to heat up anyway? :(
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
what kinda iron is it? It really shouldnt take 2 min, if its a low power iron it will take longer but thats is way too long, for wires and larger things like that i like using my soldering gun, it gets much hotter and faster too.
cool_greg 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
you need to melt the solder on the wire so it melts into the wire and joins them, holding the solder next to the wire isn't going to achive much.
It should only take a few seconds for the iron to heat up the wire enough for the solder to melt into it, I typically use a 45 watt iron and that works fine, or I have in the past used one of those mini butane torches but they tend to burn the wiring and anything else in the way if your no careful enough
Just a Guy, Wiring up those Vehicals
---------------------------------
Gool_Greg
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2003 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

Well it is a cheapo 30W iron I got in a kit from Radioshack.  For some reason the iron also turned all brown like it got burnt on the part behind the tip so maybe I got a bad iron?

And cool_greg I ment holding the iron on the wires and the solder also on the wires next to the iron.  That is the way I understood soldering was supposed to work since your not supposed to touch the tip and melt it on.

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
ohh i didnt read that right, you have to actually touch the tip to the wires, then touch the solder to the wires as well. The iron tip is brown because you didnt tin the tip and it probably got too hot, and its a cheap ironNeed Soldering Help - Last Post -- posted image.
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

So how do I go about tining the tip without getting solder everywhere?

Okay....so I keep the tip on the wires and then put the solder on the wires next to it right?

Do I need to go buy another iron now that this one is brown?

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
nah you dont need a new iron, let it cool down and hit the tip with some high grit sandpaper to clean it off, the wrap a piece of solder around the tip and plug it in and let it warm up, cheaper soldering irons always seem to have that problem they just keep getting hotter and burn the solder off. After it is warmed up hold it on the wires and at the same time press some solder onto the wire (but not touching the soldering iron) it will melt into the wires in about 10 seconds, time vary depending on iron temp and wire gauge though.
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

Well I figured that it would be melting quick esspecially on the 22 ga wire.

I never thought of wraping solder around the tip, the instructions said to touch it to the iron and that wasn't working very well.

Gonna give it another go here in a few.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic