Post the diagram here too so I can see!
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 4:54 AM / IP Logged  

ok, here ya go - there's two possibilities for the types of bulbs you're using, assuming you're using two filliment bulbs (1157's) -- your bulb sockets can be either self grounding bulb sockets, or non grounding (isolated) types.  i've included pics for both.  -- here's the non self grounding type:

Tail light Relays - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

that one will save you from having to install an extra set of relays - and it prevents the rest of your lights from failing to operate, if you say - had a front bulb burn out.  now, this next one is if your bulb sockets ground to the tail light assemblies - you can actually use this in both situations, but it comes at the cost of another relay per side

i realize that you could use a single relay on each side if you have ground insulated bulb sockets, and let the single relays coil be provided ground by the opposite circuit, but that isn't as reliable - these will operate without being affected by the removal of a bulb on the other side, or in the front (though you may need to get an electronic turn signal flasher that requires little or no load in order to flash, since it will only be loaded down by the current of the front turn signal bulb, and the relay (which is much smaller a draw, but still it will flash most conventional turn signal flashers anyhow - try it first, if it flashes too slow, or not at all, get an electronic one for a few bucks at any auto parts store)

superchuckles 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 4:58 AM / IP Logged  

Ack!  i uploaded the same pic twice!  sorry about that...... here's the self grounding type pic....... doh!

hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
I don't see how this could possibly work with no delay of any kind in the circuit.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
superchuckles 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
umm, he didn't say it needed a flasher - he said he merely wanted to combine what were seperate circuits (i.e. he wanted both brake lights and turn signals in the same bulbs - where he had seperate turn signal and brake bulbs in the rear).  though adding a turn signal flasher would be quite easy - i'm assuming that he already has the flashing part handled....  since he never said anything about needing a flashing circuit
superchuckles 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  

but before you go using either of those (though they both will work) -- just save yourself a lot of unnecessary bull, go get yourself some new ground isolated 1157 sockets (plastic sockets with their own ground wire in them, that don't ground by plugging the bulb in) - and use this circuit (i don't know why i used 4 relays before, i must of been asleep at the helm - you only really needed three....

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic