icon

Tap into heavy gauge wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
84celica 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
So one of the three black wires is what I need? Great! Down to three wires...Tap into heavy gauge wires? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Jeff
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
if you test with a meter see if you get ac voltage on one of the leads if more than one show ac voltage on the wire rev the engine to see if the voltage goes up with the rpms the one that changes voltage should work. it will read maybe between 1 volt to maybe 6-7 volts that is the wire if it changes with the speed odf the engine tap it as long as you be careful not to short the wire you are going to be ok . note that mor ethan one of these or all of these may work check with meter you should be fine.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
oh yeah this may sound stupid but it will only read voltage with the engine running. ground the black lead of the meter probe with positive lead set your meter to 12 volts ac or even 20 volts whatever the case may be with the meter you use. dont think about using logic probe or test light not only will it not tell you anything you will hurt your car (dmm) only.
84celica 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

I got a good soarce for the tach now but am kinda puzzled about the starter kill relay now. The instructions do not tell me if I need to put the starter kill between the remote start wires and the starter, or between the remote start wires and the ignition switch. I'm so close I can feel it but these little things that keep popping up are driving me mad. Mad I say!!! I know that if I wire it the wrong way I am going to not be able to start the car because of the starter kill relay being in the wrong place. I really don't want to trial and error it as I know one wrong move and my ECU is toast... Or maybe not... I really don't want to chance it...

Either way, Thank everyone for all the excellent help you have provided me here on this board. I could not have done this without the help...

Thank you

Jeff
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
ok the starter kill goes between the switch and sterter the starter output from the remote start will go after the starer kill relay its that easy. this means put the starter output wire from the remote start towards the starter. Tap into heavy gauge wires? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
84celica 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2002 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

Now that I read what you wrote, it makes sence. I get confused sometimes when I've got so many things going. I need to go buy me a good DMM so I don't run into as many problems as I have. I would have had a good tach wire long before had I had a good DMM to use.

Thanks,

Jeff
84celica 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2002 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

I did it!!! I got it all to work!!! I spent some time today to finish installing my alarm. I stripped the ignition wires to expose enough of the wire to solder to. I then wrapped each wire with tape and then the whole bunch with more tape, ran the tach wire and cleaned everything up. I plugged in the power, shut the doors and hood and stood back as I hit the motor start button. Nothing happened so I thought I screwed something up. I look at absolutely everything and nothing looked wrong so I sat in the car, closed the doors and hit the button again. When I hit the button, I could here the alarm module clicking so I knew it was trying to start the car. I turned the alarm off and tried to start the car and nothing happened. About this time I was in a full panic because I thought I had royally screwed something up and my car was not starting because of something I did wrong. I looked around again and checked all my connections only to find I had not plugged the ignition wires back into the harness. PHEEWEE!!! I sat there feeling really stupid then plugged the harness back up and hit the start button. In less than a second the ACC came on followed by the car starting up. You could not imagine the feeling of accomplishment I got from such a little thing as my car starting up. I am so glad I decided to install everything myself and would do it over no problem. I have newfound respect for the guys that do this sort of thing on a daily basis and charge so little in my opinion to do it.

Now I am going to search the parts yards for a set of electric window regulators to power my windows. Something else I can wire to the alarm. :)

mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2002 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
i'm glad to see eveything is working and your  remote start is done.Tap into heavy gauge wires? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Was the tach one of those black wires??
84celica 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2002 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks mobiletoys2002,

I ended up using the alarms smart tachless mode instead of trying to figure out which tach wire would work. Smart tachless mode senses the vehicle voltage when the car starts and shuts the starter off when the voltage spikes from the car starting. It has worked flawlessly even when cold. I have not had a false start yet.

I noticed a mistake I made though that may not be that big but will most certainly have to be corrected. I neglected to attach the wire that goes to the brake switch so when the key is in the ignition, the alarm lets go of the ignition; or if the brake is pressed without the key in the ignition, the motor stops running. I can only imagine this is a anti carjack feature. I also noticed that when I try to stop the car before the preset time the alarm runs the car. I can't stop it without pressing the remote start button on the remote to stop it. I can certainly see how this could be a serious safety problem...

Jeff
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic