icon

1996 Galant Stereo Wiring Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Magnanini 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to install an aftermarket CD player in a 96 Galant S.   I've got everything hooked up, but am left with two wires (internal illumination and parking lights) that I don't know what to do with.   I have instructions that advise capping them off, but doing that leaves me without illumination and parking lights.

Any suggestions as to what to do would be appreciated.

Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

Usually you don't have to use those wires at all.  They sometimes can cause blown fuse problems.  All they do is when you turn your head lights or parking lights on it's supposed to dim the lights on the cd player to some what match your dash lights.  It's better to just cap those wires off.   That doesn't mean your parking lights won't work anymore.

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   1996 Galant Stereo Wiring Problem - Last Post -- posted image.
Magnanini 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

What would cause the lights (parking and internal illumination) not to work unless they're hooked up to power?  Could the fuses have been blown?   

When I cap them off, they don't work at all - I get no illumination or parking lights.  

Any insight?

Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Did you blow any fuses?
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

So when you turn on your head lights..just the head light come on and nothing else?  Do any of your dash lights come on when you turn them on?  exactly how did you connect the head unit?  Did you use an adapter harness or did you just hard wire it?  I would definitely check the fuses (all of em!) and/or replace them.

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   1996 Galant Stereo Wiring Problem - Last Post -- posted image.
Magnanini 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
I'll have to check on the blown fuses.  
I hard wired the unit and when I turn on the Headlights, only the headlights come on - no dashboard lights at all.
Alien509 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
sounds likely you blew a fuse. Before you replace any blown fuses cap the extra wire(s) then replace the fuse(s), this will ensure you won't blow the new fuse as soon as you put it in.
Alien509 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Oh I did have a rare case with my friends truck and dashboard lights. It turns out some vehicles have inline electronic fuses in them. We hooked the new headunit up to the original power wires coming out of the dash and it turns out the radio and the dash lights were linked together, to the electronic inline fuse, then to the actual fuse in the fuse box. Well we had compensated by putting a higher fuse in the fuse box but you can't change the inline fuses's set off point. So whenever he switched to his dash lights they didn't turn on. To fix this problem with this radio that drew more amprage then the stock radio we ahd to run our own power wires directly from the battery terminals. This solved the problem with the "fusable links" which  I call electronic fuses. Now he can beat to his radio and use his dash lights just fine ;)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic