icon

Alpine Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjerman 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know if the Alpine MRV-1507 amp can handle 2ohm bridged? Or is not stable 2ohm bridged? Any info would be appreciated!
1998 Volvo S70 T5 - It's Swedish isn't that weird?
peteacher 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Bigjerman, if no on ehas the answer to this question, try e-mailing alpine for help. Most audio companies are very helpful for answering these type of questions. Orion e-mailed me an instruction manual in one day...
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
i believe that amp is only stable 2ohm stereo and 4ohm mono(bridged) as is the case with most two channel amps.
Quad L Handyman services
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

Most Alpine amplifers (not all) are not designed and engineered to operate at 2 ohm mono. I have a couple of nice old V12 amps right here (boat anchors now) that are blown because the customer used them at 2 ohm mono. Do not do it. What subs do you have or are you considering? Let's get you started on the right path.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bigjerman 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

I got one 12" Audiobahn AW1206T in a custom 2.3 cu. ft. box.

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

The sub you have is a dual 4ohm driver, this means that in series it is 8ohm (not what we want if you only have one sub) or 2 ohm if wired in parallel. If you parallel wire the sub to the Alpine amp, you will be able to use it for a little while, but eventually the prolonged draw on the power supply will cause it to fail, which it will. Hook up your amp is stereo to the sub or even better yet, get yourself a new amplifier that will do what this big nasty subAlpine Amp -- posted image. is designed to do. The worst thing in the world for you to do to a sub is underpower it, with the alpine amp this is the case, sorry for the bad news.

bigjerman 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, got any ideas what you think would work with this sub?
forbidden 
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

Here are some great possibilities for you to explore

Planet Audio AP500.2 a 2 channel amp stable and engineered to 2 ohm mono. A little more power than you may need.

Planet Audio TT2250D a dedicated mono sub amp that would probably run 2 of your subs properly.

Audiobahn A1500hct a 2 channel amp stable and engineered to 1 ohm mono, this amp is a powerhouse.

Audiobahn !18001dt a dedicated mono sub amp just right for power at 2 ohm mono, stable and engineered to 1 ohm mono.

The all mighty Orion 2500dAlpine Amp -- posted image.. enough said!

The (personal favorite) Eclipse DA7122Alpine Amp -- posted image.Alpine Amp -- posted image..

There are obviousely a whole pile of really goos amps out there. The best of them are American made , the others may be made in Singakoreatiawanapore. The American amps are more $ but generally sound better, have bigger power supplies and do a nicer all around job. Do some research and get back to me. I'll check on this when I have the time.

bigjerman 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

All those amps you got listed look good but some of them are kinda pricey. Not that they are totally outa the question im just lookin for sumtin to replace the Alpine amp till i can get some money together. What do you think about: Sony XM-D1000P5, its 2 ohm stable. Let me know what you think. And thanks for all the help.

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

i believe the majority of the anwsers here about sony will try to turn you away from them.  maybe try the jbl 1200.1 its a good quality amp and isnt too pricy. $280 on purecaraudio, $260 on ikesound, MSRP $550.

Quad L Handyman services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic