icon

Amplifier Crossover Settings

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Leoayers 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I am finally done installing my system and now need to know how to adjust the setting on the amp(crossovers). here is a list of components in my system. Any help would be appreciated.
JVC KD-SH55 cd head unit.
Hifonics GenXI Zeus(running subs)
Hifonics Zeus Series 4 channel Z6400(running components)
2 Kicker XPL 15's in a sealed enclosure
2 set's of polk audio DB6500 component sets.
Thanks to all who have helped with information that has gotten me this far!!
          Amplifier Crossover Settings - Last Post -- posted image. Amplifier Crossover Settings - Last Post -- posted image.
    Ketel22 
    Silver - Posts: 976
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: November 05, 2003 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
    depending on the setup most, sub crossovers are set at around 80hz and your mids and highs amp would be everything else, its all in your taste though. i would reccommend just going out one night and taking some time to try different setting until you get to a point where you like th sound.
    Quad L Handyman services
    forbidden 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,352
    Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: November 05, 2003 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

Set your gains one at a time or expect to have problems. If you don't want to take it to a shop, follow this routine. Turn all gains down all the way, they are happiest there. Set the bass / mid / treble control on your cd to center, not up or down. Find yourself yur favorite heaviest bass cd. Play the same song over and over, the song that never ends. Start with your front speakers, unplug all other rca cables from the amps so only the front speakers are playing. Remember that gains are designed to be turned down  - not up. Don not use any bass boost switches on the amp. Start by turning the volume on the cd player up to about 85%. Expect that at this point is where the outputs of your cd player will clip. If you hear your speakers distorting, raise the crossover frequency and / or lower the volume level. If all goes well then play with the gain until you hear the speakers distort, turn the gain down. Now there is a tradeoff here, if you want midbass from your speakers you cannot have (generally speaking) lots of gain, play with this, turn your crossover all the up and you will see that you can increase your gain, turn the crossover down and you will have to turn down the gain. Adjust this to how you like it to sound. Now do the same for the rear speakers, don't forget to unplug the front rca's. After you have set both front and rear gains, listen to both playing together (still with the same song), if you hear too much sound coming from the back of the car, turn the gain down, you want front stage - rear fill, not the other way around. Finally disconnect the front and rear rca's and adjust the sub amp in the same fashion. Max the sub level control (volume level at 85%) start with the gain all the way down. Adjust the gain and crossover until you like how it sounds, hopefully devoid of all audible distortion, plug in the front and rear rca's again. If you have way too much bass, the safe bet is to turn the sub gain down, the other is to turn the sub level down on the cd. Hopefully your cd has a dedicated sub pre-out.

Let us know how you make out.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic