icon

Part of DVC Blown?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skahide 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 15" sub with DVC. i had it hooked up to an amp for about 2 months and never had a problem until last night.  I was riding down the road, playing no louder than normal, or any different then normal and all of a sudden i lost all my bass.  No pop, no static, it acted as if the amp had got too hot and shut off, so i didnt freak. i pulled over and checked the amps temp, it wasnt hot at all, and had all power.  It was late so this morning i got up checked ALL connections from HU, from batt, to amp, to speaker.  ALL GOOD. I even pull the speaker out of the box. all good. well i unhook the speaker and check to see it only one side would work and only ONE set will work.  I thought i had it connected correctly, what would cause this to happen???  
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
Meter the subwoofer to ensure that it still has continuity through the coil. If both coils were hooked up and 1 coil shorted, then it may have caused the amp to go into protection. There is a chance that the coil is either melted or just open ( a break in the wire), in either case hopefully you have a warranty on the subwoofer. One possible problem that you may have is a heat issue in the coils. If the coils cannot cool themselves properly, this buildup of heat will cause the voicecoils / voicecoil former to melt (distort it's shape). End result is a blown speaker. If you are listening to your favorite music and a normal and sustained listening level this may just be the case. If you have clipped the signal going into the amplifier it may also be the root cause of the problem. There can be many causes for a failure , we need more informaton to find out what it might have been in order to help prevent it again. Anyways it sounds like a new sub is in your future.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
skahide 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
The amp didnt go into portection cause the light stayed on power and NOT protection. I bought the speaker second hand and dont have any warrenty.    The speaker doesnt sound blown because now that i only have the working side hooked up there is no distortion, but it does seem less powerfull. Is that the only difference when you go from DVC to single???
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2003 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

skahide,  your speaker is and isn't blown.  Dual voice coil subs are sometimes considered as two speakers since they have twin coils.  And since you have a bad voice coil you have a blown sub and a good voice coil you have a good sub.  The sound is not as powerful because you have only on voice coil that is working and this is just like removing one sub. 

To get your bass back the way it was you might need to get a new speaker or call the manufacture and see how much they will charge to replace the sub.  This could be cheaper than a new one.

DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2003 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
Like Fuseblower siad..it is and isn't blown...since its a Dual Voice Coil ( DVC ) it's like two speakers...you fubared one VC . so it soounds less powerful, etc. time to get it fixed or replaced....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic