icon

XM Radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Digger67 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

I might have this in the wrong section but here it goes, I have a Pioneer AVH-P6500DVD HU in my 2000 Chevy Blazer. Now in the input menu it has a XM source icon, its not highlighted, do I need the Pioneer GEXP900XM  or the GEXP901XM box to plug into my unit or do I just need the XM Broadcast subcription. Anyone know how this would work ??

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Well isn't this a good one. Notice your in Canada so you have heard about the CRTC. It is illegal in Canada to receive satellite signals that are sourced from a foreign country. You heard this correct. The CRTC is the licensing body in Canada that regulates the entire satellite industry for us. It is ellagal in canada to use a DSS satellite from any US manufacturer like Sony or RCA etc. The only ones legal here are Starchoice and Expressvu. This is because they are 100% Canadian, have content that is Canadian and pay the taxes to the Canadian Government. Now with satellite radio being 100% American, there is no taxes paid to the Canadian government, no Canadian content (although we did give them Shania and other hotties) thus the CRTC has made it illegal.

Most of the companies involved in the stereo industry do not even care about things like this, they make their product to be used with it or without it, however most Canadian companies like Panasonic and possiblly Pioneer (not a Pioneer dealer so don't quote me) do not import the XM or Sirius satellite receivers for sale here for fear of the wrath of the CRTC (worse than the FBI / CIA with rabid hungry dogs). Currently if we want to receive these signals in Canada we must buy a bootleg receiver and most times have a bogus US address for billing, I have heard however of Canadian billing addresses. I will not put company, employees or myself in a position that here in Canada is illegal.

To answer the original question (remeber I'm not a Pioneer dealer) it sounds like you do need the satellite broadcast receiver + antenna + subscription in order to use the capabilities of the system. I would seriously consider if having your vehicle seized is worth having satellite radio (maybe an extreme circumstance but knock on wood it will happen to someone). Just a thought, no offence intended.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Digger67 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Wow I did not know that CRTC made it illegal in Canada that way. Thats really sucks because I am only 5 mins away from the US border. Knowing this now I might have to research this with our local Starchoice and Expressv store here and see if they can offer anything for this. I have become totaly bored with my CD collection and Localk radio stations. I figured this way I would have a wide choice of music to listen too.  I Thank you for this Info as I said I didnt know that it was wrong to do in Canuckland.

Thanks for the info,

Digger

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic