icon

Nice tricks learned this winter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Justaguy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  

Any installers learned anything seriously cool and time saving, I have a few...

positive parklights 04 rams... WHITE/ grey in the harness running up from the junction, same one as the lock wire and brake

positive parklights on 01 and up caravans...WHITE/ brown or WHITE/ orange in the kick(brake is there too).

tach on 03,04 chevy trucks... white in green taped harness under fuse cover under hood(glow plug is there also, computer safe test light turns on glow plug light with ignition on) way easier than going behind cluster.

brake on chevy fullsize suvs... in the orange plug under the fuze panel cover high in drivers kick, blue wire i believe. Its nice to use if there is moveable pedals(yuck), but it's not there on trucks.

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

i learned that it is nearly impossible to put a remote starter in a 03/04 windstar without something strange happening.... :)     Also that it is easier to put a R/S in a new CTS than a 92 sunbird..... thank you GIT. 

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

if the vehicle has cruise control grab the brake wire at the same place as the ignition wires

for vats, trace the orange (or black) insulated wires for a bit and see if the run in to a non insulated harness or dist. block of sorts.  easier than ripping the insulation off.

if you cant find locks or parking light wires where they are described, try probing around the harness to rear, lock have to be there on 4 door vehicles, bt may not be the same polarity as what you are supposed to find, lights will be there tho.

chevy 1999+ full size trucks, grab the tach at the only white wire behind the cluster.

most GM vehicles for a door trigger, grab it at the courtesy light.  as for dome light delay, if you hare doing keyless entry too, the light will more likely turn off when you hit lock from the fob so there is no problem arming that zone.

theres some more but i wouldnt remember unless i was in that vehicle.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
Never try to rapair a hacked up car before you install a starter , send them to the dealer first. Nice tricks learned this winter - Last Post -- posted image.
kwalton 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
if there is one thing that i have learned in my 10+ years is never rely on techsoft or wire magc for all the answers. there is almost always an easier way to find a wilre when doing an alarm or remote starter. use your imagination and look in logical places for each lead ie. kick panel, at switches.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
"if there is one thing that i have learned in my 10+ years is never rely on techsoft or wire magc for all the answers. there is almost always an easier way to find a wilre"
Couldn't agree more...Haven't used wire magic, but we go with DEI every now and then and it's terrible. Just doesn't make sense where they tell you to find wires..I feel sorry for the stores that follow their info they have you running all over the car..
Mike
crxtasi 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
NowYaKnow,
I was one of those unlucky fools who did techsoft and wiremagic. But now I have learned from higher learning... Like on toyota's... you can get almost everthing behind the fuse panel.
crxtasi
HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

its nice to hear the tips and tricks, esp the positive parking lamp outputs for most of these new trucks.  I can do without resistors for that, thank you!  I tend to disagree with the general thought that the wiring diagrams are junk.  in many cases, we already know whats going on, so they are a buffer at best.  but for those oddball cars you don't see often (or haven't seen yet...), they give invaluable hints on what kind of security, etc....VERY nice...

b

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
defective wrote:

i learned that it is nearly impossible to put a remote starter in a 03/04 windstar without something strange happening.... :)

Most 03/04 Windstars have GRANNY CRANK (OEM anti grind) which conflicts with the crank cycle and tach wire of r-starters. If ever you do a vehicle with OEM anti-grind whether it be a Windstar, an Impala et al, don't connect the tach wire. Simply program the r-starter for at least a 2 second crank and let the vehicle electronics handle the rest!
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic