icon

Bass not hitting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
If your battery/charging system aren't up to par, your amps'll never make their rated output.  Check that.  You wrote you checked the resistance.  Did you check this at the amp's terminals or at the speakers themselves?  Ensure those connections are nice and tight.  If they're in the same compartement (not seperately) it may appear that both are playing when only one is.  Check to make sure you didn't just turn off a setting or something, in the deck, or the amp.  You need to listen to the system under the same conditions as you did when it hit hard yesterday (same CD, track, etc.).
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Leoayers 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
I checked the subs at the speaker not the amp with the amp disconnected. They are in seperate chambers in the box. I am going to take the radio out of my wife van and put it in my truck and see if it is better(want to make sure the sub section of my radio is not fried) I will post results either way. As far as the charging system, It worked perfectly up until the time the the bass went away that is why I thought it might be the caps because it happened so quick. Just a quick note I did hook my sub amp to the rear RCA outputs of my headunit and the bass was better but still not as strong(reason I am checking the radio)
geepherder 
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

"That sounds good, Peter.  And we'll go ahead and get this... fixed up for you, okay?" (Office Space)  Keep us posted.

rbbrink 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
Chech the charging system before you take anything apart, if you don't have the equiptment to do it your local auto parts chain should do it at no charge.  You'll probably find it is either not working or barely working, and it's a lot easier than removing and intalling the radio three times.
Leoayers 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Charging system checked out good any other ideas?
Leoayers 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I checked a couple of things My amp is clipping and cutting out with the volume up. It seems to me that the amp clips as the voltage drops a little but I was told that charging system is fine so am I am back the the same question is it possible that the caps are bad adn is there a way to check them to see if they are wroking correctly
geepherder 
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you're trying to draw too much current from the alternator which is causing the voltage drop, not the cap.  Do you have the proper gauge power and ground cables for your application?  Shut everything off.  Check the voltage at the battery, then at the cap.  Now turn on the system and crank the volume a good bit.  Measure again at the battery, then the cap.  As long as you don't have more than a few tenths of a voltage drop, your cap is probably fine.  If this is the case, upgrade your alternator.
Leoayers 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, At the battery I have app 12.6 volts same at the caps car off. with the car on I have app 14.2 and about 13 when the bass hits. I am using a 0/1 guage wire for ground and power
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
If yur amp is clipping you do not have your gains set properly.  This could be the entire problem.  Set your gains correctly.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic