icon

Educate Me about alarms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
extremeavenger 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I am totally new to trying to install car alarms and sh*t to the point to where i dont even know where to hide the box and sh*t. It all hooks up underneath my dash but where to I hide the sensor thing? I know i sound fu**ing retarded right now but once i learn the basics ill be fine i just have never done it before.....gimmie a hand?
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Well the main unit(brain) should be fairly hidden for high security install or at least make it hard to get at because once found "alarm is useless!!!"
You usually want it high on the drivers side dash or behind radio above glove box,etc!
The shock sensor can be mount toward the center of the vehicle zip tied to a wire harness or screwd to the panel somewher(depending on unit being installed>
keep your valet switch well hidden if you can inside glove box is always great,in a fuse panel cover etc..
What kind of car do you want to install in an what kind of unit will you be installing???
extremeavenger 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Hey man thanx for the reply. I dot have the exzact model number handy but it is a Commando alarm with remote start and I want to put it in my 1999 Dodge Avenger. I cant find any stores to put it in for me cause i didnt buy it from them so im kinda stuck with an alarm and remote start but i cant use it cause im not sure on how to put it in. I knew this was going to be hard as f**k once i started reading about all this tuff or does it sound alot harder than it really is. will I be able to get in there and tuck this there and splice and hook that up here? I mean im sure it's not as easy as a car stereo but if im car stereo minded should i have a problem catching on?
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
You should be able to tackle this with minimal problems at most, As long as you pay attention and read what you learn. Read the owners manual a few times make sure you understand that and then if questions arise post back.
You will have to get a wiring diagram from this site or from comando whoever maybe both.You still need to test the wires even though the diagram tells you one thing it can be wrong.
last u need basic tools to complete this,zipties,drill,screwdriver #2 phillips usually,10 mm ratchet always helps,electrical tape,connectors,crimper,wire stripper, digital multimeter,and that should be the majority of what you will need.Good luck
stratusfear69 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
Good luck, I think you should find an installer that knows what they're doing!!!  The last thing you need to be doing is exposing the battery and ignition wires at the steering column and shorting/frying your electrical system.  It'll be worth the $100-$150 for you to not f**k it up.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
Throw those crimp caps out the window....All the shops I've worked out required you to solder your connections. There is a big risk if you don't know how to use crimp caps..and its better if you use solder anyway.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
extremeavenger 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
HEy thanx guys I appreciuate all your feed back it really helps. I havent tackled this job yet cause of work and sh*t gettin all my time but I am going to have to visit a loval library or something to find the wiring diagram or look around on here some more. I think I found someone that is alarm savay so to speak so they might be able to help me out. But if you ugys have any trick or tip you would like to share I would love to hear them, Where to hide the Brain...problems you guys have ran into and so on and so forth...this might help other visitors to this site to. Anyway thanx guys I will be checkin back in soon and following up with my progress.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, they're all correct. Moreover, if you are comfortable installing stereos in a car, you should have no problem with this other than you got to make sure you are checking your voltages and are using the right wires before you connect them.   If you doublecheck the wires, have the basic tools, a multimeter and willingness to learn from reading, you can do it. If you are not at all comfortable doing it, you should get a friend who knows at least a little bit of wiring to help you. Good luck.   
Worst case, you should be able to take your remote start/alarm to a shop and have them do it. I bought a remotestart and every shop I went to agreed to install it, however I ended up doing it myself as I enjoy working with cars and electronics and have a pretty good idea of electronics.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic