icon

Need more juice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Upgrading your alternator is a good idea... I have a honda accord, with a 1500w amp.... It would shut off from time to time one day... I traced it to the ground connection, check and make sure that the connection is to bare metal, connected to the frame or as close to it as possible of your car.. make sure you scrape off anything that could worsen the connection, paint, dirt, grease etc... Hope this helps... Peace
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1976 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton Pickup  with a 350 small block.  and yes i have A/C  but it is currently not working at the moment,
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

ok now about  the wiring situation...first i had an audiobahn a2200hct amp hooked up to the Mojo 15"s.  i had it professionally installed so anything behind the woofer, i havent seen how it is wired.  all i did was unhook the wires from the audiobahn amp, and hooked up the mojo amp.  could this be my problem?  does the audiobahn amp have a lower impedence stability?  on the audiobahn, the 2 channels were bridged to one.

• 4 Ohm Stereo: 200 X 2 Watts
  • 2 Ohm Stereo: 400 X 2 Watts
  • 1 Ohm Stereo: 600 X 2 Watts
  • 4 Ohm Mono: 400 X 1 Watts
  • 2 Ohm Mono: 800 X 1 Watts
  • 1 Ohm Mono: 1600 X 1 Watts
  • iwmaudio 
    Member - Posts: 4
    Member spacespace
    Posted: March 22, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
    I just looked up the vehicle and it takes a standard 10SI case...We can do a 10SI case in a 160 amp 1-wire alternator in both standard case and in chrome...Just send me an email at nickm@iwmaudio.com if interested in one of those 2 options...We can also discuss the price of those as well...
    DYohn 
    Moderator - Posts: 10,741
    Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: March 22, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

The Memphis amp you are using requires no less than a 2-ohm load.  Using 2 of the DVC 2-ohm speakers, they can either be wired at 0.5 ohms (won't work, might have worked on your Audiobahn amp) at 2-ohms (what I suggested earlier) or at 8-ohms (would work fine and not drive the amp very hard, but you would not be happy with the loss of SPL.)

You will have to check your subs to see how they are wired.  Taking straight resistance readings with a meter will not always tell you how they are wired.

It may still be that you are simply overloading your alternator, and I highly recomend you upgrade it as well.  But if your speakers are overdriving the amp, no alternator will help you,.

AudioBAHNvlcm 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: March 22, 2004 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
    Well i have a strong feeling that it has to do with my alternator, seeing is that my amp only shuts off when my volts drop to below 10 volts or so.
    DYohn 
    Moderator - Posts: 10,741
    Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: March 22, 2004 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
    Well why didn't you say that before?  Yes, if you voltage is dropping to 10 volts the amp will shut off on low voltage.  UPGRADE YOUR ALTERNATOR.
    stevdart 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,816
    Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
    Posted: March 22, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

If you are not going to fix the air conditioning soon, take off (or cut off) the belt to the A/C.  You'll take a load off the alt.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic