icon

what is SQ and SPL?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry I don't know what these 2 terms mean. I did a google search but did not find the definition anywhere. I would imagine they have to do with sound quality? What is spl? sound peak level? sound Performance Loudness? just guessing.
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

sq=sound quality

spl=sound pressure level, or how loud the speaker can get in decibals

Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

Also,

SQ = You can listen to it all day long without the sound grating on you and wearing you down, and it sounds equally good at high or low volume levels.

SPL = You may not be able to listen to it at all since the decibel level causes hearing damage, but it sure does impress the 16 year old down the street and tee-off all your neighbors.  Can also make the local cops happy when they write you tickets for violating sound ordinances.

markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the education, I really appreciate it.
Now I have a new question. What is the smallest subwoofer in terms of cft and watts and speaker diameter, that I can use in my vehicle, to get very good SQ? I do not at all care about SPL, now that I know what these 2 terms mean. I just want SQ, first priority.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I've used subs as small as 6" with good results.  8" is a standard size.  What kind of car and how much would you like to spend?
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn,
I am looking for the smallest yet great sounding sub. About quality vs price, if you look at my other post here, you will see that I already spent a few bucks for some good stuff.
DYohn 
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

A few very nice 8" subs that I have used in the past that have excellent SQ include:

Dayton Quatro; Focal 21H (which is made by Scan Speak); Soundstream Exact EXW-8; and my all-time favorite, money-no-object SQ champ, world class leader, the Seas Lotus CW21EX001, which is available in the US through Madisound.  There are some nice 6.5" woofers from Audax, Focal and Morel that can function as subs in the right enclosure.

Although I am not a big fan of them, for the really space-challenged, look at the small Bazooka self-powered line.  They make a 6.5" and an 8" that produce fair amounts of good quality sound for their size.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

If you still have your Type Rs try using only one of them in a sealed enclosure. You could try an 8" JL Audio W7 in a sealed box (or you could buy the pre-loaded sealed box from JL). I would definitely listen to this sub first to see if its still too much bass for you.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
There was a car in town here that had eight focal 5" subs. Two per door and then 4 in the back in a wild custom enclose in the wheel well. This car was awsome sounding, it had a set of utopia 6" 4"  tweet up front and ran Micro Dimension power and the thing hit so tight it was rediculous. Im not saying you need to do eight subs, all Im saying is Id check into them

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic